Honestly, how bad is this?

WaynePierce

2 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

What year is your aircraft , I have a few , Also , it wont fall out of the sky , if you fly it or don't stopdrill it.....  I have seen many people fly it like that for years ...

I had visions of wind at 190 knot speeds getting inside the elevator and ripping it apart! Totally embarrassing but the thought did cross my mind.

13 minutes ago, WaynePierce said:

I had visions of wind at 190 knot speeds getting inside the elevator and ripping it apart! Totally embarrassing but the thought did cross my mind.

It does not affect balance , so it wont flutter , It is not in the lifting part of the wing ( yes I know it is an elevator , but an Elevator is a wing ) and will not create turbulent airflow over the surface ,   I would suggest you get advice from licensed individuals , and not "the crowd"    Send a few pics to your IA , and he will probably say the same thing ,  I personally would not ground it for this.... 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WaynePierce said:

After a day of beating my self up, reading this post and the vast amount of knowledge shown... I've called my insurance agent, sent him the pictures as well and now we are looking for someone to do the work or at least an estimate for what it will be. There are no Mooney specific, or specialty shops in the greater Memphis area.

Since my last plane was in a partnership all the maintenance was done by someone else and since it was on a tie-down there was no such thing as hangar rash... Oh the things you learn when you own your own plane...

If it is "only" $1400 I'd probably eat the cost and avoid a claim so that every year when you have to answer the question about having had any claims you can say "no".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

If it is "only" $1400 I'd probably eat the cost and avoid a claim so that every year when you have to answer the question about having had any claims you can say "no".

Agreed, we'll wait and see.

Spend the time to get the mooney to Longview for Don to repair. It's a fairly short flight and could be done with a ferry permit.  Don understands these types of repairs better than anyone.  You don't want him noticing the repair was not done correctly when he is ask to prebuy it when you sell it.  Take the time to make sure it's all done right.  Don pointed out several repairs on my past mooneys that no one else noticed. He is that good.

Doubling down on my post above.
DMax is the call. He Re-
Skinned and painted to match mine and the plane fly’s like it’s right out of the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

It does not affect balance , so it wont flutter , It is not in the lifting part of the wing ( yes I know it is an elevator , but an Elevator is a wing ) and will not create turbulent airflow over the surface ,   I would suggest you get advice from licensed individuals , and not "the crowd"    Send a few pics to your IA , and he will probably say the same thing ,  I personally would not ground it for this.... 

Some in the “crowd” are licensed.

Clarence

I had a similar accident also pushing my Debonair into the hangar.  It cost $6,000 for the repair.  That consisted of the local shop to remove and ship the elevator to Biggs.  They reskined in aluminum per stc.  They also painted and balanced.  Then local shop reattached.

my cost was $50, and it had no affect on my insurance rates.   Took about a month.

I also purchased a used powertow .  No more head down pushing for me.

• Like 3

Agreed but I didn't see anybody in the crowd, that told him he couldn't fly it that I now have a license..... Best to stick with his IA or his A&P for real life advice

With all due respect - that is just not true.

Just because one has achieved a license or certification of any type, that in and of itself does mean they are competent, experienced or correct in their advice. I’ve seen many incompetent A&Ps.

The forum here does not purport to give legal or even expert advice - it is however a place to discuss and learn, and often times it has proven to be the correct source of information.

I will tell you that this “crowd” is valuable as a sounding board and have helped greatly many many times.

(Rudders can flutter, btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Thankfully insurance covered it.  No need to cut corners and they were actually great to deal with.  I was debating even getting it fixed, but if I ever went to sell the plane it would be a problem.  I did pay $500 for a used powertow to help keep it from happening again.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 7:35 AM, steingar said:

My nightmare.  My Money barely fits in my hangar, and I'm so vertically challenged and diminutive that I can' see over the nose when pushing it.  Really sorry to hear.  Hope the airplane gets all better.

I wish I had that much money.  :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Holy hell. Go on a flightline and you'll find 95% of planes with bigger rashes than that.

It did look a little worse on the bottom.  And my cost was only $50, my insurance paid the rest.  And if I went to sell I’m sure the buyer would expect something from it.

D43616A4-F26C-4486-8BC5-7752AE05CB4D.jpeg