Honestly, how bad is this?

WaynePierce

#firstworldproblems
Not trying to be a troll, but it’s hard to feel bad for someone that doesn’t even notice his car is still in the hanger and dents his Jaguar with his Cirrus. Maybe if it had been a Mooney I would have felt bad about it...

Well, there might a Mooney owner or two who have a car/airplane story to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 11/2/2018 at 11:22 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'd still ask Don. He's got more of a "we can fix it" attitude.  When I was facing corrosion on my spar cap, Don was the one who just kept saying, it can be fixed. And ultimately he was right and saved me about $60K.

Don has an excellent sheet metal guy now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Don has an excellent sheet metal guy now.

So I've heard. And JD does now as well.  This is JD under the wing on a Saturday night. He's holding the bucking bar as Brodie puts the rivets in.  Brodie the sheet metal guy just stepped out of the picture. Working hard to get a member's Mooney repaired and ready for the engine and prop when they get back.

IMG_2640.thumb.jpg.967dc9a3d3b04f9ffac9692f64290a33.jpg

• Like 1

#firstworldproblems
Not trying to be a troll, but it’s hard to feel bad for someone that doesn’t even notice his car is still in the hanger and dents his Jaguar with his Cirrus. Maybe if it had been a Mooney I would have felt bad about it...

It's not trolling, but possibly some financial jealousy and brand-hating.

Although I have no idea how he didn't remember, or see, his car in the hangar. I'm certainly not perfect, but that was a doozy of a brain fart.

If there was some financial jealousy it was definitely misplaced. It was a used Jaguar and used 2002 SR22. Plus he took on non-equity partners to help with the fixed costs on the SR22.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cease said:

It's not trolling, but possibly some financial jealousy and brand-hating.

Although I have no idea how he didn't remember, or see, his car in the hangar. I'm certainly not perfect, but that was a doozy of a brain fart.

If there was some financial jealousy it was definitely misplaced. It was a used Jaguar and used 2002 SR22. Plus he took on non-equity partners to help with the fixed costs on the SR22.

You’re probably right. I think it just fits the stereotype I have in my mind of the Cirrus driver with more money than brains who now has to take a different plane on vacation to Cape Cod because he backed his expensive plane into his luxury auto by not paying attention.

He’s probably a nice guy who deserves what he has and it’s not my place to judge him. I think with the recent Thanksgiving holiday and realizing how fortunate we are compared to most other people in the world it was just hard for me to muster up some sympathy. That being said, if I’d done that I probably would have canceled my vacation.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:48 PM, WaynePierce said:

Elevator has been removed and was flown back to Will Dawson Aircraft in Clinton, Ark today. Reskin and paint in the near future... (I hope) I was going to use Beegles but I was concerned about the shipping... more specifically the return shipping to me and it ended up we can fly it to Dawson Aircraft easier.

Hangar has tape on the floor, box for the mains and nose, and big green tape in the center at the back of the hangar to line up the horizontal stabilizer... I'm moved it in and out of the hangar twice since adding the tape and my short stature appreciates the markings.

The first thing I did when I got my hangar was to paint stripes on the floor and well out onto the ramp.  Well worth the $100 it cost me to have the parking lot stripe guys spray it.  

• Thanks 1

Is the question “what’s legal” or “will it fly (acceptably).”  Those are two entirely different answers.... I’m more than willing to bet that you can get a ferry permit issued on that (what appears to be minor) damage.  To get it legally repaired might cost you though.  

I flew a J on a ferry permit to a MSC for about 200NM that had run into a metal post about 4 feet out from its wingtip at an uncontrolled field... it looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to the leading edge.  I barely even noticed a change in flight performance compared to my J.  It’s a bit different on a damaged flight control surface- but not much.  Still- it has to be repaired to spec to retain its certification- and the cost of that has been detailed above.

just to be clear- I am not an A&p, nor do I advocate for flying an airplane that doesn’t meet airworthiness standards... just relaying my experience flying a structurally damaged plane on a ferry permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, WaynePierce said:

To bring this thread to a close...

I told my wife we needed to have the plane painted now to match the elevator! Probably a good wax job would be sufficient...

elevator.JPG

You sly dog you! Why didn't I think of that angle?!

Who finally did the repair on the elevator?

The reskin and paint/balance was done by Dawson Aircraft in Clinton, Ark. The hold-up was getting the skin from Mooney. In their defense there was at least one hurricane that interfered and drained the supply of skins.

Will Dawson had his son fly in and pick it up, my adjuster flew it back when he picked up his 210 from annual.

The work is top notch, it looks great and of the highest quality.

Edited by WaynePierce
left out a good point.
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, WaynePierce said:

To bring this thread to a close...

I told my wife we needed to have the plane painted now to match the elevator! Probably a good wax job would be sufficient...

elevator.JPG

Check to make sure the installer added the small AN960-10L washers between the bearings and the hinge fitting on the stabilizer.  They are often missed on re assembly.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

9 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Check to make sure the installer added the small AN960-10L washers between the bearings and the hinge fitting on the stabilizer.  They are often missed on re assembly.

Clarence

He did. I helped him with it so I saw each pain in the arse spacer go between them. He also commented on them when we took it off! Thanks for the head's up, though, I bet someone trying to cut a corner or two would have "forgotten" them.