Prepping for owner assist annual. Check my list?

ragedracer1977

Looks good! 

Pads have lasted 400-500 hrs for me.

I haven’t seen the cross reference for M28. Although it appears to be almost like their SHC-100 which is approved for most jet aircraft wheels. 

I’ve never needed to use a bearing packer.

A gallon of mineral spirits will do wonders too.

#8 and 10 B-type tinnermen plates and screws will help for the belly

AN900 crush gasket for the oil sump. 

Orings for the fuel caps if you haven’t done them. 

#8 structural flush screws for the wings. 

The large pack of Paitents and elbow grease! 

-Matt

Tiny tinnermans for the dog house...

They can be hard to find. Often missing from high vibration and worn springiness...

a set of fresh driver bits for unscrewing 100s of fasteners...

ziplocs, pen, paper to identify what these parts came from...

Warm clothes, creeper to put some distance between you and the floor...

open mind and open eyes to adsorb as much knowledge as you usually come to get.

Bagels, coffee, snacks and something for the mechanic too... :)

Things that come to the PP mind...

Best regards,

-a-

I might want to order some pads then, not sure when they were last replaced, and I've put 300 hours on her. 

M28 is equivalent to aeroshell 22, which I understand is correct for the bearings and gear. If I'm wrong, let me know!

I've got mineral spirits

I have a huge pile of hardware, but I don't think I have any tinnermans. 

The crush gasket - I have a quick drain. Does that come out at annual? Do I need a crush washer for the oil screen?

My caps are the thermos type and in very good shape.

Thanks!

• Get a supply of small ziploc bags and a marker. I pull inspection plates and bag the screws in groups--Left wing, Right wing, tail, spinner, doghouse . . . .
  • Bunch of spare screws (measure each one when they come out, you'll be ready for next year)
  • Baby powder for your new tubes
  • Graphite antiseize for spark plugs
  • Can of contact cleaner
  • Plenty of rags
  • Your favorite belly cleaner (I like Wash n Wax)
  • Can of TriFlow

My job is always to remove all inspection panels before the IA gets there. I pull the plugs and clean them while he's checking compression, then reinstall. I always wash and wax (now in one quick step) the belly while it's off. 

Check what grease is in your prop, and get some of that for next year. There's a sticker on mine under the spinner, it's probably either #5 or #6.

I'll probably think of more later.

• Torque wrench for reinstalling plugs (mine came from Harbor Freight)
  • Something heavy to hold the tail down while on jacks
  • Spark plug socket--I tried several, then bought one from Spruce
  • Various hand tools--screwdrivers (regular & phillips), pliers, needle nose, Standard wrenches, ice pick or similar (for aligning panel screwholes)
  • Creeper
  • Nearby place for lunch  :P
  • Like 2

Tire talc to protect the new tubes in the new tires. 

Also check your air filters used in your vacuum system for when they were last replaced, at least 2 are used, one of the regulator and one at the end of the vacuum line.

FWIF, Mooney specs a different grease for the wheel bearings (Aeroshell 5) than that spec'd for the gear (22)

• Like 1

I used Air Hawks for the last 300 hours, the grumpy IA likes Condors.    Fancy grease gun tip.  spring lock, tractor store, something.   The 6 piece tip for the grease gun.  Some extra grease fittings so when you break one.  speed phillips screw driver.   I have an earlier one of these.    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-32-Piece-Magnetic-Ratcheting-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver-Set/50289427

The grumpy IA uses the palm ratchets from snap on.

13 hours ago, Hank said:
  • Get a supply of small ziploc bags and a marker. I pull inspection plates and bag the screws in groups--Left wing, Right wing, tail, spinner, doghouse . . . .
  • Bunch of spare screws (measure each one when they come out, you'll be ready for next year)
  • Baby powder for your new tubes
  • Graphite antiseize for spark plugs
  • Can of contact cleaner
  • Plenty of rags
  • Your favorite belly cleaner (I like Wash n Wax)
  • Can of TriFlow

My job is always to remove all inspection panels before the IA gets there. I pull the plugs and clean them while he's checking compression, then reinstall. I always wash and wax (now in one quick step) the belly while it's off. 

Check what grease is in your prop, and get some of that for next year. There's a sticker on mine under the spinner, it's probably either #5 or #6.

I'll probably think of more later.

• Torque wrench for reinstalling plugs (mine came from Harbor Freight)
  • Something heavy to hold the tail down while on jacks
  • Spark plug socket--I tried several, then bought one from Spruce
  • Various hand tools--screwdrivers (regular & phillips), pliers, needle nose, Standard wrenches, ice pick or similar (for aligning panel screwholes)
  • Creeper
  • Nearby place for lunch  :P

When you pull all of your plugs before doing the compression check, they’ll all be 0/80.  Not really airworthy!  Better readings can be had by removing one plug per cylinder then doing the check.

Clarence

Clarence

I thought I read Aeroshell 22 for both the gear and bearings, thanks for pointing out that was wrong.  I see in the maintenance manual it is indeed #5!  

I do have a Hartzell prop, so Aeroshell 6 for that.  

On the crush gasket MS35769-21 is that the same as an AN900-16?  That seems to be what Spruce is cross-referencing.  

I think I have everything else.  I pretty much expect the IA will have some of this stuff, but it seems like it will go a lot easier if I've got my own.  

The quick drain O-rings are on my annual list now, after they started leaking.  Kinda scary to me that two tiny o-rings are the only thing holding in all my oil.  Almost thinking about going back to a regular plug.

I’d buy more screws then you think you need.  I bought 500 last annual to replace all the old ones and it was not enough.

Vaccum filter.

Depending on the ELT you have there might be a kit to upgrade your ELT to a 406MHz.  I’m doing that next year.

Cotter pins for the seats and tires.

Ooh, cotter pins!  I forgot about that!  I have the worlds oldest ELT.  A Narco ELT 10.  I don't put a whole lot of faith in it, but it's there and it works.  

I have a huge kit of screws I bought.  Well over a thousand.  bags and bags full of different styles.  

8 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I have the worlds oldest ELT.  A Narco ELT 10.  I don't put a whole lot of faith in it, but it's there and it works.  

I listened to a podcast that sold me on the ELT upgrade.  With the 406MHz ELT they can pinpoint your position within a minute of it going off... even faster if you are feeding a GPS source to it.

With the 121.5 MHz they have to get the directional finder out and it will be days before they find you.

6 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

I listened to a podcast that sold me on the ELT upgrade.  With the 406MHz ELT they can pinpoint your position within a minute of it going off... even faster if you are feeding a GPS source to it.

With the 121.5 MHz they have to get the directional finder out and it will be days before they find you.

It is definitely something I need to do, but I'm essentially always in the system talking, so I've been spending my money elsewhere