KLN 94 Database Card

Niko182

I have some issue with the Database card on KLN 94.

I tried to update cards from Honeywell. I was only able to downloaded the Database from honeywell. It then deleted my last database and I never managed to upload the current database. I have tried with 2 different computers, 2 different kln94, 3 downloads, 3 datacards (2006 and prior), 1 cable which downloaded and uploaded other on another kln94 without any problem. Still no joy.

Any other suggestions.Honeywell is at lost too.

Is the card specific to one box or is it interchangeable?

Any help is appreciated

Nik

Edited by Niko182

1 minute ago, MIm20c said:

Does the 94 actually download the card or just run the database from the card?  I think jeppesen sells preloaded cards?

When the Install starts, it deletes the database card in the KLN94, tries to download it, tells me there's an error, and then leaves me with a blank card.
We stopped trying to update it a while back because it was gonna be switched out with a gtn750, but due to the prop needing an overhaul, it was decided
not worthwhile overhauling the prop and getting a hartzell 3 blade which took the priority as of now. So, now I want to get the GPS working so I can use it
for my IFR training. My guess is that its the Cards, as they're all pre 2005 cards. when the plane was acquired, it Had a database card with a download from 2007
on it.

I noticed this on the BK site...you might need to use that exact card reader with the updated firmware?  It’s odd though because it mentions 94 update can use the new updater program which runs on win 7 and up.

KLN 94 database card can use a SanDisk ImageMateSDDR-31 with a Firmware Upgrade. No other card readers are compatible.A Windows 98 or Windows ME computer is required to upgrade the firmwarein the ImageMate. The ImageMate will not work with Windows XP servicepack 3, Vista, Windows 7 or 8 and up.

BK has a guy...

The part of BK that really works, is their Wingman services...

I have the older kln90b...

There is a test you can perform to make sure your PC is communicating with the database... push the button...

If the test doesn’t work... deleting the database as instructed, will leave you very disappointed!

Essentially you go from having an old database to having bricked your GPS...

Worst case... if you are a child of the Magenta line... you just bricked your entire plane... by following the instructions...

I paid my instruments guy to reconnect my data cable and upload my first database.

I was unable to follow the cable up behind the panel... it is holy cow tight back there.

Prior to that, I swapped out the data cartridge each time. Which requires removing the radio from the panel.

The 90s was a funky time. Pulling a radio every 28 days? That has zero chance of being a long term solution...

So being the smart guy that I am... I bricked my entire airplane... until my instrument guy got my PC and my database communicating...

The BK guy stayed with me, followed through, called me back, stayed on the phone while I was in the hangar... reviewed what Windows version I had/needed...

That plug was probably never connected from the day I got the plane... (a great topic to add for a more complete PPI... data communications for all electronic devices, databases and engine monitors)

Testing the communication IS step one...

DO NOT erase the database until after the communication has been established...

There can be some other issues, but the BK guy will have you covered... which operating system your navigator is using... which windows your PC is on... too old, not able to upload databases...

How is that for an angry memory?

At least downloading the database from wingman services was pretty easy...

Doing it via iPad would be even better...

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

BK has a guy...

The part of BK that really works, is their Wingman services...

I have the older kln90b...

There is a test you can perform to make sure your PC is communicating with the database... push the button...

If the test doesn’t work... deleting the database as instructed, will leave you very disappointed!

Essentially you go from having an old database to having bricked your GPS...

Worst case... if you are a child of the Magenta line... you just bricked your entire plane... by following the instructions...

I paid my instruments guy to reconnect my data cable and upload my first database.

I was unable to follow the cable up behind the panel... it is holy cow tight back there.

Prior to that, I swapped out the data cartridge each time. Which requires removing the radio from the panel.

The 90s was a funky time. Pulling a radio every 28 days? That has zero chance of being a long term solution...

So being the smart guy that I am... I bricked my entire airplane... until my instrument guy got my PC and my database communicating...

The BK guy stayed with me, followed through, called me back, stayed on the phone while I was in the hangar...

That plug was probably never connected from the day I got the plane...

Testing the communication IS step one...

DO NOT erase the database until after the communication has been established...

There can be some other issues, but the BK guy will have you covered... which operating system your navigator is using... to old, not able to upload databases...

How is that for an angry memory?

At least downloading the database from wingman services was pretty easy...

Doing it via iPad would be even better...

Best regards,

-a-

it doesnt let me start the installation if the computer isn't connected. My guess is I'm probably going to have to buy the 500 buck card,
and start that way.

I think Wingman services is out by Arizona? (For time differences)

A call on Monday morning might get you going the right direction...

Just buying the data nets the best price.

Buying data cards and swapping them is more expensive.

The way WS used to (?) work... you could buy a dozen updates or so and only download them as often as it made sense... they expired over an extra year or two...

If you fly in the system and go direct every month then you are updating every 28 days...

If you are VFR only, updating annually is pretty good, when your iPad is carrying the known updated info for your flight...

The middle zone... fly IFR often but not every month... save the extra updates for later...

The CB version... fly VOR to VOR... using the aging database, because VORs don’t change very often, and are pretty easy to verify with up to date iPad info...

the KLN 94 is not WAAS capable... so it is missing some really important IFR approaches that are moving to the mainstream...

I did my IR training using VOR/ILS/KLN94... don’t press the non-touch screen!

PP thoughts only, not IFR current... (today)

Best regards,

-a-

When I had a KLN94 the only way I was able to do it was on Windows XP with the specific card reader only set up for the KLN cards. It worked well after I used that combo. I used to buy a subscription and update them for other KLN 94 owners. After I sold the airplane i sold the card reader.

In theory it's also possible to do it from a Windows XP using this cable that plugs into the front of the unit while in the airplane: King KLN94 GPS Update Cable (P/N 050-03612-0000)

• 1 year later...

I got a somewhat complicated setup working.

Since Windows XP is needed, I loaded it on a VM (Virtual Machine (in Parallels) on my Apple Macbook.

I then use a USB to D-Type connector to connect to the cable that plugs into the connector at the front of the KLN94.

Log into Wingman services, give it your KLN94 serial number, download the database to the laptop. Plug the laptop into the front of the KLN94, start the upload, it take 16 minutes

If you need more detail let me know. five one zero - five eight nine - one four eight nine 

Eugene

4 hours ago, Cessna182S said:

I got a somewhat complicated setup working.

Since Windows XP is needed, I loaded it on a VM (Virtual Machine (in Parallels) on my Apple Macbook.

I then use a USB to D-Type connector to connect to the cable that plugs into the connector at the front of the KLN94.

Log into Wingman services, give it your KLN94 serial number, download the database to the laptop. Plug the laptop into the front of the KLN94, start the upload, it take 16 minutes

If you need more detail let me know. five one zero - five eight nine - one four eight nine 

Eugene

It used to feel like by the time I did all of those things the data was almost expired anyway . . lol.

Welcome aboard, Eugene!

There is nothing like working with ancient electronic equipment...

When we have modern stuff to compare with every day...

A simple download of all the same data into WingX takes the push of a button while I eat breakfast... :)

And it’s loaded onto two devices at the same time... Via WiFi...

And confirms what database to keep, what to toss.... all good.

Seriously, thanks for sharing your tech experience... I struggled with the same details for a kln90B a few years ago...

Best regards,

-a-