Can the gear be powder coated?

Why would you not write "gear removed and powder coated" instead of writing "gear removed and painted." Or do you have a reference for "gear removed and painted in accordance with zzzz" to record if you don't powder coat?

Once it's done, how do you look and tell the difference anyway?

Just spoke with the guy who will eventually be repainting the Mooney for me. His recommendation was to put something like, "Gear removed, disassembled and media blasted. Primed with [primer name & number] and powder coated with [PC name & number] and reinstalled." Unless I hear differently from Mooney, I'm going with that.

I had some parts plated last year by a FAA repair station.  They returned them to me with a 8130, so that was the approved data.  All their processes were approved by the FAA.  I've also saw repair stations that advertise powder coating.  There are also also  certified  aircraft manufactures that are currently powdercoating steel parts.

What parts? Anything structural, or just handles and stuff?

What parts? Anything structural, or just handles and stuff?

Mostly external steel engine parts and brackets. Rocker covers, intake pipes, fuel spider bracket, alternator mount and supports, ect.

They also done the crankshaft snout and flange.

I have been told there is no problem with the powdercoat process. The company I used to do my engine mount says they do quite a few pieces of aircraft landing gear parts without a problem. Their process only requires 375 F for about 30 minutes. It might be a good idea to ask whoever you are thinking of using how their process works. Another thing you might consider is having the parts inspected after they are blasted. I had mine run through again as their glass beads were much finer than I use in my blaster and it didn't seem to get some of the light corrosion off of the tubes after one go around.

powder coating any structural parts of an aircraft is not a good idea. Powder coating is quite flexible and I've seen several instances where it has allowed cracking or corrosion to be going on undetected underneath the powder coating. I'd stick with a good epoxy paint on engine mounts or other main structural members. Since the landing gear on the mooney is not prone to cracking there should be no problem powder coating them. The engine mount on the other hand is prone to cracks and should never be powder coated.

One drawback I have noticed with powder coating  (AKA powder painting) is that the electrical charge that attracts the powder has a difficult time getting into some angles at tube junctions The Eastwood dual voltage gun has a low setting that is supposed to help with this but it is not 100%.  This leaves a bare area, typically at a weld, that could set up corrosion at a location difficult to see. Also, if corrosion gets started under the stuff it tends to peel.

• 5 weeks later...

My mechanic was doing a repair on nose gear a few months ago...while it was all in pieces I asked him about powder coating, and he knew of a good place to have it done.  So I went ahead...nose gear only.  Turned out very nice, although required a significant time to prevent the powder coating from getting into places it isn't wanted.