Oil change advice _ which oil and filter?

Lukon

22 minutes ago, Lukon said:

So what is Camguard? Do you buy this separately, or does it come in some of the oils mentioned? 

https://aslcamguard.com/products-2/aviation-2/

Owner written column on AvWeb: https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/oil_myths_debunked_197096-1.html

Test:http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/38_12/maintenancematters/5849-1.html

1 hour ago, Lukon said:

It has an aftermarket filter adapter on it. I think originally it just had a metal screen. I’ll get the part number off the filter, next time I’m out there. I was more wondering why not use an automobile filter to save money.

The original filter would have been 48110, however in most cases a 48111 which is longer will fit.  If you have a remote filter adapter you’ll need have to see what the STC says for the correct part number.

If the STC allows an automotive filter you can, otherwise you’re limited to an aviation part number.

Clarence

4 hours ago, Lukon said:

So what is Camguard? Do you buy this separately, or does it come in some of the oils mentioned? 

Aeroshell 15W50  contains a advanced additive package that’s specifically formulated for the multigrade oil that it is. It also contains the Lycoming LW 16702 antiwear additive. If you don’t want to use the multigrade you have the aeroshell W100 plus and W80 plus. The plus designates that they contain the Lycoming antiwear additive. After market additives are not recommended by engine manufacturers. And when selecting among these oils there’s never a good reason for costly after market additives. Personally I would advise you to use a premium aviation oil such as Aeroshell that’s appropriate for your climate. Fly it and change it religiously as directed by the manufacturers (of engine and oil) every 30-35 hours or 4 months. Let the pros at Shell do the formulating! 

Edited by m20kmooney

On 10/29/2018 at 9:33 AM, jaylw314 said:

IIRC, the Tempest filters have a magnet in them to trap metal particles.  Does anyone know if they still do this, and where the magnet is in the filter?  The last time we cut the filter, I didn't notice anything that looked like a magnet...

They do... it is a plate on the cap side of the filter. If you cut the filter and pull the filter out, you'll see the plate that easily separates from the metal end of the filter. Next time I change my oil--I just changed it two hours ago--I'll take a picture if you can't find it. 

Edited by jonhop
  • Thanks 1

The weak link in the Lycoming design is the cam.  Many premature engine failures are due to cam wear. Given the superior lubrication of the synthetic oils I have always thought it would protect better from premature cam wear.  I use Aeroshell 15-50. But I have never had problems getting near the cylinder high temp limits with the third cowl flap mod on my 67F.  So year round seems fine. 

On 10/30/2018 at 5:52 PM, jonhop said:

They do... it is a plate on the cap side of the filter. If you cut the filter and pull the filter out, you'll see the plate that easily separates from the metal end of the filter. Next time I change my oil--I just changed it two hours ago--I'll take a picture if you can't find it. 

Thanks!  The guy who cut it at the shop didn't mention it, and I forgot to ask.  I'll try to remember next time