KC Area - Mooney A&P, CFI, Owners?

Mr. T

New guy here, based at KLXT and contemplating purchase of a vintage M20 - something like a C or maybe F.

As part of my research, I thought it might be a good idea to get recommendations for Mooney-experienced A&Ps and CFIs in the Kansas City Area. Checked a couple of reference sites and didn’t turn up anything. If you know of one or the other, please let me know!

Also - since I’ve never set foot in an M20 - is there anyone in the area that has an M20 who might be willing to let me see your plane, ask a zillion questions and maybe go for a ride?

Thanks - I look forward to learning a lot on MooneySpace!

Edited by Mr. T

Welcome aboard, Mr. T.

Ask as many questions as you can... We have more answers than you have questions.

Check out the search function first, if you have a goofy question and are afraid to ask...  trust me... somebody probably asked it already.

If you can’t find something, or the responses are too ancient... feel free to ask again.

The C and F are both great planes... as are the E and G...

It comes down to personal choice... how do you value fuel injection and extra space in the back seats?

I started with an M20C and got to appreciate fuel injection and extra space as the family got larger...

Enjoy the hunt... :)

Best regards,

-a-

For the CFI, John Schmidt would be a great resource, he did my initial and recurrent training in my former M20E.  His details are listed under the Kansas heading:  http://www.themooneyflyer.com/cfi.html

Dean Ayers at Leavenworth Aviation Services (civilian side of KFLV - Fort Leavenworth Army Airfield) has forgotten more about Mooney's than I'll ever know.   He's the owner, has owned the same 1965 M20E since the early 80's and is also an A&P.  There's another mechanic there that works on a bunch of Mooney's as well (used to work on mine when I was stationed there).  https://www.airnav.com/airport/KFLV/LEAVENWORTH_AV_SVCS

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to spending a lot of evenings searching MooneySpace and filling the brain.

@flight2000, thanks for the references. I think there's a Mooney for rent at KFLV, so maybe I can book a couple of hours with John Schmidt and get my feet wet.

@jasona900, thanks for the offer - I'm trying to connect with a guy at KFSK this weekend; if that doesn't work out, I'll definitely be in touch!

5 hours ago, Mr. T said:

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to spending a lot of evenings searching MooneySpace and filling the brain.

@flight2000, thanks for the references. I think there's a Mooney for rent at KFLV, so maybe I can book a couple of hours with John Schmidt and get my feet wet.

@jasona900, thanks for the offer - I'm trying to connect with a guy at KFSK this weekend; if that doesn't work out, I'll definitely be in touch!

You should connect with @jasona900 regardless. There's quality education to be had by talking with someone who's owned more than one of these birds.

• Like 1

New guy here also and new Mooney driver. I did my training at IXD and have the plane based north of STJ. Looking forward to networking with more KC area mooniacs. I'm also very interested in the A&P answers in this thread!!

What are you flying now and how is the hangar situation at LXT?

Edited by MOMooneyDriver
more words

54 minutes ago, MOMooneyDriver said:

New guy here also and new Mooney driver. I did my training at IXD and have the plane based north of STJ. Looking forward to networking with more KC area mooniacs. I'm also very interested in the A&P answers in this thread!!

What are you flying now and how is the hangar situation at LXT?

Nice to hear from a fellow new guy...

I’m currently a member of the Flying Club of Kansas City, which is primarily based at OJC but keeps a couple of planes at LXT. I fly an Archer, 182 and 172RG. I’m primarily motivated to buy my own plane so I can stop the constant hassle of scheduling  - we’ve got 80 members, 5 planes, one or two seemingly always down for maintenance and its hard to schedule unless you can work 2 or 3 weeks ahead. 

LXT recently opened a bunch of new hangars but when I called last week, there were a total of 3 (old ones) available. I’m hoping they have something available when I get a plane but no guarantees...

Get an E!

Fastest out there (of the vintage ones) and at 8.5GPH! Just don't expect to take 3 passengers with you.

Get me a ticket to a Chiefs Game in 2-3 weeks (I lived in Leawood when Montana and Brett were in KC playing Ball) and we can go fly as long as you like and to where ever you'd like! :D

16 hours ago, bill98 said:

Get an E!

Fastest out there (of the vintage ones) and at 8.5GPH! Just don't expect to take 3 passengers with you.

Get me a ticket to a Chiefs Game in 2-3 weeks (I lived in Leawood when Montana and Brett were in KC playing Ball) and we can go fly as long as you like and to where ever you'd like! :D

I'd guess Chiefs tickets are pretty hard to come by these days.... ;-)

• Like 1