Long body Baggage Light

exM20K

The Acclaim sat out in heavy rain last night.  One of the new features is that the baggage light now goes on with the master and off with its timer.  Is there a switch somewhere that controlls this, or is the toggle switch the likely culprit?

Thanks in advance.

-dan

Dan,

Check for switches in two locations...

One near the pilot’s arm rest...

The other near the baggage compartment door...

Many people left the lights on in the O1s and killed off a Gill or two...

Easy to accidentally do when filling the baggage area during the day...

The timer just made sense to keep this from happening...

I wouldn’t expect having lights come on with the master to work out for various pilots...

Jump in the plane that is warmed up and fueled, restart the engine, run-up ready to depart into the night... Waiting for lights to automatically turn off inside?

Look for both switches...

The POH should also cover this... in about a paragraph or two..,

PP thoughts only, I have the O1 without a timer and avoid using the lights...

Best regards,

-a-

Maybe a good time to remind owners to check their wiring diagram....

For a long time, there have been posts about those who left a baggage light on to return to a flat battery. I had smugly assumed that dual batteries would still leave you one to start with, but it is not necessarily so!

Bravos 27-0232 to 27-0239 (and probably others) have a supply with rectifier bridge that *only* feeds the clock in the panel and the baggage light (and also the panel/glareshield dimmer control, but this is isolated with the master) - the net result that either of these circuits have the possibility to drain *both* batteries.

image.png.581ef53b5efe2e296a13e9ecdc30357d.png

image.png.9c6d4787422fbb42b841c3190b847d60.png

image.png.c9657933dc8f1b42c27ced0ac9e214d1.png

Fortunately someone had observed the light on overnight and left a message with the tower, and they contacted me first thing in the morning, which gave me the chance to get a maintenance shop to remove, recharge and refit both the batteries before a late afternoon flight

Edited by Awful_Charlie
add dimmer control note
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I searched the POH for some description of the baggage light functionality and came up with nothing.  So I went out to the hangar to see if there was anything obviously disconnected and/or dangling.  no joy.  With the master off, I hit the toggle switch for the light.  Nothing.  Hit it again: Light operating normally and dimming after a few minutes. Hmmmm.  Flipped on the master: no baggage light.

Dunno - is there a logic built into that system to double-tap it to tie it to always on w/ master?  sees strange, and I'll not risk trying to reproduce the always-on.  Bottom line: problem solved for $0.

-dan

A timer to keep from running down the battery, is so easy to build and have installed by your A&P or hangar elf, that I wonder why every Mooney owner doesn't have one. It took me a while to design the electronic circuit, but it isn't that difficult. And I would question the sanity of anyone who contends it would be more than a minor modification. 

7 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I searched the POH for some description of the baggage light functionality and came up with nothing.  So I went out to the hangar to see if there was anything obviously disconnected and/or dangling.  no joy.  With the master off, I hit the toggle switch for the light.  Nothing.  Hit it again: Light operating normally and dimming after a few minutes. Hmmmm.  Flipped on the master: no baggage light.

Dunno - is there a logic built into that system to double-tap it to tie it to always on w/ master?  sees strange, and I'll not risk trying to reproduce the always-on.  Bottom line: problem solved for $0.

-dan

I usually need to press the button 2 or 3 times in order to make it turn on. and It'll turn off usually couple minutes later.

As Awful Charlie pointed out, the baggage light may drain BOTH batteries. I’m here to say that this is what happened to me. As some of you may remember, I accidentally hit the switch on my baggage compartment (1997, serial # 29-0106) while off loading during the day. It killed both of my new Concorde batteries. This Ovation was manufactured before the timer switch were added to the newer Mooney’s. That was an expensive lesson. Now I know why the original owner had taken out the bulb. During annual, my IA reinstalled the bulb and didn’t mention it. Not his fault for being thorough.

Section VII in the POH... under systems...

I grabbed part of it, but not all of it...

between iPads lately... and iPhones...and back-ups...

Best regards,

-a-

CABIN LIGHTING

Overhead lights illuminate the cabin. All passenger overhead lights are controlled by a POWER LITES switch located on the pilot’s arm rest. With Master Light Switch ON, individual overhead cabin lights are controlled by rocker switches located on each passenger’s arm rest (excluding front seat passenger). Front seat passenger’s light switch is located forward of cabin door hinge on side panel.

-CAUTION-

The Cabin Light rocker switches are connected directly to battery. All passenger over- head lights are controlled by a Master Light switch located on the pilot’s arm rest. With Master Light Switch ON, individual overhead cabin lights are controlled by rock- er switches located on each passenger’s arm rest (excluding front seat passenger). Front seat passenger’s light switch is located forward of cabin door hinge on side panel. 

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Section VII in the POH... under systems...

I grabbed part of it, but not all of it...

between iPads lately... and iPhones...and back-ups...

Best regards,

-a-

CABIN LIGHTING

Overhead lights illuminate the cabin. All passenger overhead lights are controlled by a POWER LITES switch located on the pilot’s arm rest. With Master Light Switch ON, individual overhead cabin lights are controlled by rocker switches located on each passenger’s arm rest (excluding front seat passenger). Front seat passenger’s light switch is located forward of cabin door hinge on side panel.

-CAUTION-

The Cabin Light rocker switches are connected directly to battery. All passenger over- head lights are controlled by a Master Light switch located on the pilot’s arm rest. With Master Light Switch ON, individual overhead cabin lights are controlled by rock- er switches located on each passenger’s arm rest (excluding front seat passenger). Front seat passenger’s light switch is located forward of cabin door hinge on side panel. 

yup, but nothing on the baggage compartment lighting...

-dan