Ramp Fee Question for Attorneys

cliffy

On 10/27/2018 at 10:14 AM, Cyril Gibb said:

You are correct, but I’ve been blindsided by not asking the right questions.  I’ve asked FBOs about their fees without asking about other airport fees. My mistake.  Now I specifically ask about any other fees or surcharges they are aware of.  One surprise biggy was the $120US customs clearance fee at KFRG.

Whoa. that's fucked. Is it because you're not a US citizen/aircraft, or is it just that's what KFRG charges?

6 hours ago, Antares said:

Whoa. that's fucked. Is it because you're not a US citizen/aircraft, or is it just that's what KFRG charges?

It would affect anybody who's crossed the border and needs customs.  KFRG only charges the $$ on behalf of the border guys.  The airport has their own charges.  I would have thought that customs should have told me when I called them to schedule an arrival time.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:57 PM, Cyril Gibb said:

It would affect anybody who's crossed the border and needs customs.  KFRG only charges the $$ on behalf of the border guys.  The airport has their own charges.  I would have thought that customs should have told me when I called them to schedule an arrival time.

I've never been charged entering through PBI, FXE or FPR (Edit: Not FRG)

1 hour ago, Antares said:

I've never been charged entering through PBI, FXE or FPR (Edit: Not FRG)

Heading west I go through KPCW, south through KERI and east usually through KBUF.  Have never paid a customs fee at those.  My point was similar to others, that you unfortunately have to ask the right questions to get the full picture.  Some of the questions aren't obvious.

I know that there are "user fee" airports, but KFRG is listed in the A/FD as a LRA (landing rights airport) which shouldn't have a customs fee.

Similar to US customs arrival windows.  Some are +/- 15 minutes.  Some are +/- 30 minutes.  You have to know to ask to avoid a potentially ugly situation.

Sue/collect for $50? Not worth my time. Now if it was $5 and I didn’t like the bum then it’s worth every second of my time. I’ve ran things high out of pure principle - even if it has to be heard by the Federal circuit.

Granted, I am not an attorney but I like to “do the right thing” and make assholes spend $10,000’s of their own money defending themselves....

People have laughed at me for putting the voluntary $5/night fee into the Ann Arbor Airport (KARB) box but it’s the right thing to do. What kind of CB can’t afford $5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

New Hampshire:

450:1 For Storage. – Any person who maintains a public garage, public or private airport or hangar or trailer court for the parking, storage or care of motor vehicles or aircraft or house trailers brought to his premises or placed in his care by or with the consent of the legal or equitable owner shall have a lien upon said motor vehicle or aircraft or house trailer, so long as the same shall remain in his possession, for proper charges due him for the parking, storage or care of the same.

or in layman terms, the FBO can hold your plane till you pay.

Edited by Clip4
Spelling

On 12/10/2018 at 4:11 PM, Clip4 said:

New Hampshire:

450:1 For Storage. – Any person who maintains a public garage, public or private airport or hangar or trailer court for the parking, storage or care of motor vehicles or aircraft or house trailers brought to his premises or placed in his care by or with the consent of the legal or equitable owner shall have a lien upon said motor vehicle or aircraft or house trailer, so long as the same shall remain in his possession, for proper charges due him for the parking, storage or care of the same.

or in layman terms, the FBO can hold your plane till you pay.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I believe that all states have limitations for the fees that impound yards can charge. Florida law requires impound companies to release vehicles if the driver wants to claim it while it's being picked up and limits the fees to no more than 50% of the tow price (Statute 715.07). It's unfortunate that some FBOs behave unscrupulously because that's how we get more regulation. I've heard it said that we have a legal system in this country, not a justice system. 

I love this clip of Jordan Peterson from back when he was teaching college courses. He explains the way people who engage in such egregious behavior think. 

• 2 weeks later...