Windy.com adds Skew-T Diagrams

Skates97

https://www.windy.com continues to make improvements and additions to their website and their app. In addition to the METARS (with history), TAF's, and a host of other forecasting options they have now added Skew-T charts, all you have to do is right click on the map and select that option.

https://community.windy.com/topic/6998/windy-offers-sounding-forecast

image.png.1316a5d4f407c6f12b338fbe389bd740.png

• Like 5

Interesting find, Skates.

Our Weatherspork guy gave a great presentation online last night... That presentation should be on YouTube as scheduled...

The topic was mostly regarding convection and icing and windshear and... and a touch on where this data actually comes from, and how the details get computer generated...

The skew Ts got a brief mention.

But, an hour on their uses and how to interpret their data could be valuable...

learning to avoid (extreme) icing and turbulence in IMC is only slightly more important than getting out of icing and turbulence once encountered....

reminds me of a question that came to mind that I didn’t write down...

Use of speed brakes in turbulence, is that a defensive strategy?

Asking @scottd ?

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Our Weatherspork guy gave a great presentation online last night... That presentation should be on YouTube as scheduled...

The topic was mostly regarding convection and icing and windshear and... and a touch on where this data actually comes from, and how the details get computer generated...

learning to avoid (extreme) icing and turbulence in IMC is only slightly more important than getting out of icing and turbulence once encountered....

Asking @scottd ?

Best regards,

-a-

That was a good presentation, I'm glad I tuned in. I learned some good stuff about convection and wind shear that I didn't know. Flying summertime in the southwest deserts I try to learn everything I can about convection, I'm seen some amazing storms develop in a very short period of time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

The topic was mostly regarding convection and icing and wind shear and... and a touch on where this data actually comes from, and how the details get computer generated...

Asking @scottd ?

Best regards,

-a-

The Skew-T is a wonderful tool...I primarily use it to teach weather...sort of like a painter uses a canvas.  In order to learn how to use the diagram, you must understand the basic principles of weather...the Skew-T is my canvas of sorts.  I could certainly do an hour webinar on how to use the Skew-T.  Maybe start with icing.  It won't compare to what you get in my 3 hour premium workshop.     

Certainly in significant turbulence the goal is to slow to maneuvering speed.  It's not as much of an issue of preventing the wrinkling of the aircraft's skin as it is to avoid compromising the engine mount.  Nevertheless, the use of speed brakes to slow down quickly is something I've done in the Columbia 350/400 aircraft.  

• Like 2

Thanks, Scott.

When I saw the pic with the brakes extended...

I started to wonder if that would work to increase the stall speed... minimizing the forces that the plane would endure before stalling...

Sort of an extension to the reason for slowing to maneuvering speed.

It would be almost similar to temporarily shortening the wing span... except the torque provided by the wings is still extend out to the wing tip...

But, since it isn’t a written / proven procedure It isn’t something I can predictably use...

accept to get slowed down quickly.

Thanks again Scott, (off to read up on the workshop) :)

-a-

The last thing Windy implemented before skew t was the comparison of the different weather models between NWS and the others.  The difference between the models is the computing horsepower to run them   The NWS has slower computers so their updates are not as frequent.