Need honest opinion on this paint job

BigD

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I wonder what mine is. According to the logs it was repainted in 1982. I believe it spent the first 7 years of her life on a ramp in Texas.

e8d4ad9f12a91f6839a7b286557f7b13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris, is that the LASAR cowl closure? Did you do it? (Lee Fox is working with a new owner of an old C that wants to do the relatively cheap LASAR mod...)

Sure looks like Chris has the same LASAR cowl mod I did in 2009.  Just make sure the mechanic does it right and not just over lays the enclosure and rivets away.  Saw one like that once and it look really bad.  Done right, looks like it was done at the factory.

Cheers,

Brian

IMG_2637.JPG

Chris, is that the LASAR cowl closure? Did you do it? (Lee Fox is working with a new owner of an old C that wants to do the relatively cheap LASAR mod...)

It is the Lasar enclosure. Had it done in 1995. Flew it down from NY to AirMods when Dave M still had black hair and I had hair.

• Haha 1

Personally I hate brown and prefer modern paint schemes but to each his own.
On a side note, why do we even have stripes? Cars haven’t had stripes since the 70-80s. I remember the ugly Firebird trans-am, thankfully that went away.
Disclaimer: just my opinion, if you had a trans-am don’t send hate mail.

• Like 2

Big D the paint looks great, a good indication is to looks at Bob’s response with the four pixs, I’d paint it like I like you like,you’ll be paying the bill make it your way. According to your picture the plane doesn’t look in need of a paint job.

• Like 1

IMHO... the basic format is nice... If it were me, I'd paint all the browns with black.  I think that would better accent and bring out the yellow... look at the nose angled photo.  The angle and light makes it sorta look black and gives you an idea of what I mean...

• Like 1

IMHO... the basic format is nice... If it were me, I'd paint all the browns with black.  I think that would better accent and bring out the yellow... look at the nose angled photo.  The angle and light makes it sorta look black and gives you an idea of what I mean...

Yes you’re right, black might be a better choice than the brown. My kids fee the same way! I’ll ask the boss what she thinks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big D the paint looks great, a good indication is to looks at Bob’s response with the four pixs, I’d paint it like I like you like,you’ll be paying the bill make it your way. According to your picture the plane doesn’t look in need of a paint job.

It’s amazing how good she looks in pictures! When you get up to her, it’s a different story. There are quite a few patches and some surface corrosion. Still, a hangar does wonders.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:16 AM, Marauder said:

I wonder what mine is. According to the logs it was repainted in 1982. I believe it spent the first 7 years of her life on a ramp in Texas.

e8d4ad9f12a91f6839a7b286557f7b13.jpg

My F is a 74 and painted with that scheme. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, BigD said:

OK, so this is the original paint job from 1965. It's a sort of  ivory base and the other colors are yellow and dark brown.  Believe it or not, I'm considering repainting it in the original colors, pretty much just like it is.  I never thought I'd like these colors when I bought it, but honestly, after spending some time in the plane, and making some fond memories, the familiar sandy colored sunburst still appeals to me on the ramp.  Call me crazy.  I'm not really into the new schemes, or anything that takes away from the natural lines of the M20, which I love.  So, am I crazy or should I keep it this way?  Thanks in advance! 

thumbnail-6.jpeg

Here's all you need, one of these on the tail, and "Let 'Er Buck!"  The official logo of the University of Wyoming Athletic Dept.

UW-University-of-Wyoming-Logo.png

• Like 3

My 1970 but FAA has it as 69 SN70-0033 not sure why. Wish the original paint and pics were posted on this bird. fa21aeb0a4b4372d45353e5a0ab35b67.jpgd3f0909e8d50730d7b865a9b27899ea2.jpg

That’s a beautiful plane! I like the panel too!

On 10/27/2018 at 7:29 AM, BigD said:

Pretty dated interior! IMG_7949.JPG

Those leather seats would clean up nicely. The best product I've ever found to clean leather seats is Connolly Leather Cleaner

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Connolly-Leather-Cleaner-for-Auto-Interior-Home-Furniture-and-Saddles-500ml/253707758342?epid=28021714357&hash=item3b12292b06:g:JJYAAOSwtoVbLwgM:sc:USPSFirstClass!78624!US!-1:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

You dilute it according to the directions and use a sponge or soft cloth - no need to scrub too aggressively so you take the finish off but a sponge does a great job of cleaning the dirt deposits that get in the leather. (Do not use scotchbrite sides of some sponges)

Then they next day after it dries use Connolly Hide Care to condition and soften the leather. Apply it liberally and let it sit on the seats 24 hours and then rub off the film with a moistened soft microfiber. If it's warm outside klet it sit out in the sun and work its way into the leather.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Connolly-Hide-Care-Leather-Hide-Food-Jaguar-Bentley-Aston-etc/253911872793?hash=item3b1e53b519:g:otYAAOSw0bxZt-JT:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

NEVER use ArmorAll on leather seats - they will dry out and crack.Never use anything on leather seats that you wouldn't use on your own skin.

(For the truly cheap pilots. . . .Ivory bar soap (not liquid soap) also does a decent job of cleaning the leather seats. Eucerin skin moisturizer also does a decent job of softening and conditioning the leather the next day

On 10/25/2018 at 4:42 PM, flight2000 said:

This was the 1967 scheme, or what was left of it on the airplane before being repainted in 2010... :rolleyes:

I did have one small regret and thought I should have just had it redone in the factory scheme.

IMG_6617.JPG

Top plane is N3248F....I have N3249F.. the next plane...lol

20180916_172538.jpg

Edited by Jmr324
  • Like 4