Need honest opinion on this paint job

BigD

OK, so this is the original paint job from 1965. It's a sort of  ivory base and the other colors are yellow and dark brown.  Believe it or not, I'm considering repainting it in the original colors, pretty much just like it is.  I never thought I'd like these colors when I bought it, but honestly, after spending some time in the plane, and making some fond memories, the familiar sandy colored sunburst still appeals to me on the ramp.  Call me crazy.  I'm not really into the new schemes, or anything that takes away from the natural lines of the M20, which I love.  So, am I crazy or should I keep it this way?  Thanks in advance! 

thumbnail-6.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

That is not original paint for 1965. The scheme is OEM 1977/1978, except that your N numbers interrupt the striping whereas they are above the stripes on the OEM scheme.  Just FYI. 

Jim

What the...??? You knew that off the top of your head?? :o

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BigD said:

OK, so this is the original paint job from 1965. It's a sort of  ivory base and the other colors are yellow and dark brown.  Believe it or not, I'm considering repainting it in the original colors, pretty much just like it is.  I never thought I'd like these colors when I bought it, but honestly, after spending some time in the plane, and making some fond memories, the familiar sandy colored sunburst still appeals to me on the ramp.  Call me crazy.  I'm not really into the new schemes, or anything that takes away from the natural lines of the M20, which I love.  So, am I crazy or should I keep it this way?  Thanks in advance! 

I think that doesn't suck.  If it didn't have the yellow stripe to brighten it up, I might have had a problem with the "symphony of brown," but with it I don't dislike it.

• Like 1

I think that doesn't suck.  If it didn't have the yellow stripe to brighten it up, I might have had a problem with the "symphony of brown," but with it I don't dislike it.

“Symphony of brown” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance is also right as there was a perhaps even more similar to yours OEM scheme in 1984. These schemes are among my favorite classic OEM schemes, actually. We just had Hawk repaint our C using the 1977/1978 OEM scheme in black and gray. It was previously exactly your colors in the 1977/1978 OEM scheme, believe it or not.  It was painted that way by the previous and original owner in Pennsylvania, I believe, in the late 70s. It is hard to imagine that our paint colors don't have a common origin as they are very unique. 
Jim

This Mooney came from Southern California and lived in Santa Monica, Oxnard and Camarillo before I snatched it and took it here to Ohio. It’s interesting yours had same color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1965 original...

Tail was solid brown... with about a half dozen horizontal pin stripes across it.

The boy standing up in the cabin is 5’ 8” or so... today...

Last year of college... (first round)

The colors were modern for 1965... they spread into the 70s quite well.

Check your first Log book for original colors used... it’s near the page near the AW signature...

the fancier paint schemes must have cost an extra $10 or $20....

there are near 300 tail numbers between this one and the 65 further up (53Q).

Funny how the green windows don’t look very green in pics...:)

633D3396-F3D7-4AED-8D36-180ACF37B1A1.thumb.jpeg.7e224abe10ed950a444bec5b545ed832.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigD said:

thumbnail-6.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Opinion on 1965 Paint Scheme with brown and burnt orange.  Groovy baby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@BigD, the '65 paint schemes were similar to my old '66. I suppose the striping scheme you're calling original would have been from the '90s. Perhaps the '80s.  

FWIW, the first pic below, mostly white tail is original '66, the second, orange and green was the same plane repainted in about '86, and the third is my current '66 as it was repainted in '97. (The last pic is at least the 3rd paint job on my current '66E... the scheme was never factory.)

IMG_20150426_183711511_HDR.jpg

9249M.gif

P1150032.JPG

629-1.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigD said:

thumbnail-6.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

that paint job is too shiny and too modern to be from 1965. It looks like its based on a 1977 J scheme.  The wing stripes that stop right before the leading edge. the two colors that wrap up the vertical tail.  the two colors that get wider as thye go back, the break where the N number is...on and on.  but no 1965 plane has this.

11 hours ago, BigD said:

thumbnail-6.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

I think that the paint looks great! Keep it. In the pics, doesn't even look like it needs new paint. How is the interior/panel?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flight2000 said:

This was the 1967 scheme, or what was left of it on the airplane before being repainted in 2010... :rolleyes:

I did have one small regret and thought I should have just had it redone in the factory scheme.

IMG_6617.JPG

This is original paint scheme for 1967 for the F.  The image was taken on Nov 17, 2016 by a random photographer without our knowledge.  Paint looks OK if not modern for 49 years of age...

67035680_39QatKPDK.thumb.jpg.6bcffd328e3d4ac7f15d81d024aac065.jpg