AD 96-09-10 Oil Pump

BigD

Entering my first annual and am being told there is AD on oil pump drive impeller.  There is actually a very interesting history on this here: 

http://www.enginehistory.org/AlAvCtrAC/AlAvCtrAC2.php

but apparently, reading the AD (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/AOCADSearch/5DE5ACBD6CBC8B2A8625684D00643AC1?OpenDocument), it seems to me (and previous owners in my logbooks and mechanics) that this AD did not apply to planes built before 1970 (mine is 1965).  Anybody have any experience with this? I'm going to have to make my case in morning with my mechanic.  Thanks! 

O360s should have had that done round y2k...

What diameter exhaust valves do you have?

They came up at the same time frame...

My 65C had the good valves, but needed oil pump updated...

Also look for an AD regarding airleron control rods...

Mooneys don’t have many ADs, but the aluminum oil pump gear was in a lot of engines...

The right diameter valves allowed the 2khr TBO.  It was 1800 hours before that...

your logs will tell you what oil pump gears you have... dig in around y2k...

swapping out the gears in the oil pump isn’t very terrible... the engine stays in place...

double check that the AD doesn’t apply to you and know why... it is possible that the engine you have is newer than the aluminum gear AD...

Best regards,

-a-

While the AD exempts engine built before 1970, it also says that engine will aluminium or sintered steel oil pump driven gears must be replaced when the engine is overhauled, the pump is removed for some reason or 5 years after the effective date of the AD.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

It's hard.  From the grumpy IA.  There were 3 different gears in a very short time.   So if your logs say "replaced oil pump gear to comply with AD"   But does not say what kind of gear, then there is no way to be sure of the correct final gear was installed.  It's hard.