Partial Paint (Wings)

Lukon

Okay, looks like I’m pulling the trigger on the Mooney tomorrow.  Money is tight right now, but in the coming months, I’d like to do a partial repaint. Mostly I’d like to paint the wings and just have the nicks and such touched up on the rest of the plane. The existing paint is a solid 7, and I like the scheme, but there are a bunch of pin sized chips on the left wing only, like someone got to close to a run up and got sand or fine gravel blown on it. Also the wing roots were painted and the color was not matched all that well.  The wings are just white with a small stripe, and the stripe is still fine.  Can anyone recommend a shop for this, preferably within non-stop Mooney range of KCNO?

i know there’s a pretty good (not cheap) shop in Corona; anyone have experience with them?  I’m looking for a relatively cheap solution, as I’ll probably get a complete strip and paint in a few years.

Money tight...

One year to first annual...

To be a Mooney owner this time next year...

Consider... Do not spend anything unless it is related to flight safety and proper maintenance... get some training...

Get some reserves together... then proceed.

Figure out your upgrade list and execute based on dough available...

CO monitor, FF/totalizer, engine monitor, seat belts, ADSB, what do you really need?

I was a member of the CB club early on.  Plane lived outdoors because it had too...

My first year included a stuck valve... and a new cylinder to go with that... first annual cost a tad more than expected...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 6

I agree with previous posters, you will spend plenty of money in the first year on airworthy items, annual, insurance, fuel, oil, training, hanger rent, surprises. If money is tight don’t worry about the cosmetics, go fly it a lot and make sure she/he flys really well, get the surprises out of the way, paint the whole thing when money is not so tight!

I just completed my first year of ownership... and these guys are spot on!  My first annual was $9k and that didn't include many of the other expenses.  I took my plane to a painter to get a quote because there are completely unpainted panels and lots of paint chips.  Fortunately, he was a very honest guy and told me I didn't need to paint it to protect it, just if I wanted it to look better.  What you are describing is not going to hurt the plane at all, use the money to keep it flying.

Instead of spending money on anything cosmetic, I flew it... a lot!  I put more hours on it in my one year than I had total before I bought it.

Edited by skydvrboy

If it bothers you greatly and you said cheap.    Get some small paint brushes.  Some white rustoleum primer or the rustoleum aluminum etch primer and spray some in the cap and touch up the chips.   You may find that rustoleum gloss white is a pretty good 10 foot away match for the factory color.

14 minutes ago, Yetti said:

If it bothers you greatly and you said cheap.    Get some small paint brushes.  Some white rustoleum primer or the rustoleum aluminum etch primer and spray some in the cap and touch up the chips.   You may find that rustoleum gloss white is a pretty good 10 foot away match for the factory color.

+1.  Even if your touch up job only looks 50% better, if you repaint the plane later it'll all be stripped off anyway.

10 minutes ago, Yetti said:

The nose of mine is pretty chipped up.  I have considered just stripping and polishing the first couple of inches.   It is a scary proposition because what if you don't stop and have a full polished Mooney.

Ask @Wildhorsesracing . . . .  I think it looks pretty good!

Edited by Hank

19 hours ago, Lukon said:

i know there’s a pretty good (not cheap) shop in Corona; anyone have experience with them? 

I bought my 64c and my trim colors were a mess.  I did have Corona paint the trim, around 4k ish I think about 4 years ago.  Plane still looks great.  I liked the plane so much that my first annual was a combo of airworthy stuff and my own upgrades.  I think north of 20k for a 4 month shop visit.....I wish that was the least expensive of my shop visits....but I have had a 100% dispatch rate and have enjoyed the ownership experience.  

Just make sure you have lots and lots of spare cash.........If you can't afford to light up a 100 dollar bill in flames every night at your kitchen table then you should not own......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...