Mooney down Woodbine Nj

Danb

On 10/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, Mooney-Mark said:

Never do anything from memory. Always use a checklist.  It's too easy to get distracted and forget important things.

This is the truth. 

The totalled Mooney actually looks fairly similar to mine. I had to do a second glance.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:41 PM, carusoam said:

Prayers...

Would there be a follow up (Ntsb, or FAA , or coroner, or anyone?)

Experienced pilot, lots of fields... Something wasn’t right...

RIP, Mr. Wayne Rumble...

@201er was Wayne on the NJMP list?

Best regards,

-a-

The NTSB will likely investigate since there was a fatality. 

• Like 1

I was shown a video taken by some sort of security footage showing the airplane diving almost straight down (I don't have the rights to share it here).  The ground scaring indicates that as well.  No chance to survive a crash like that.  So sad.

-Seth

4 hours ago, Seth said:

I was shown a video taken by some sort of security footage showing the airplane diving almost straight down (I don't have the rights to share it here).  The ground scaring indicates that as well.  No chance to survive a crash like that.  So sad.

Could you see anything before that? Or tell position of the flight controls? 

36 minutes ago, Hank said:

Could you see anything before that? Or tell position of the flight controls? 

Negative. 

All I was shown was still of the video.  Aircraft was maybe 4 feet from impact.  Nose in maybe an 80 degree down angle (with a cowling length to go if that until impact).  The left wing (pilot side wing) leading edge was ever so slightly closer to the ground than the copilot side.  Gear was down (view was from behind and showing the belly).

There is a video surveillance unit on the airfield that captured the final sequence of the crash off the departure end of the runway.

The picture I saw was a picture of the computer screen - thus, it's lower quality.  If I zoom in to see flight controls it is very pixelated.

I'm sure the NTSB already has or will soon have a copy of the video - again, I have only seen the once still frame and some pictures of the accident itself after the fact.

Very sad.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

I turn 67 this year,and can tell you I'm not as fast on the reflexs as I was when I was thirty.At 85 ,I really have to consider if I have what it takes to react quickly in an event like this.Out at the field where I used to fly ultra lights (wife made me stop after 2 engine failures and my quick enough reflexs saved the day)there is a navion junk yard.The owner buys wrecks for parts and the latest one brought in was just restored beautifully.Older owner,departing Oakland airport out over zero obstructions ,has a engine failure ,doesn't push the nose down and stalls into a shallow mud flat .Perfectly survivable terrain to dead stick into .A completely  survivable but Muddy walk away if the pilot had simply pushed the nose over.No other special skills needed..maybe we as pilots need to practice this scenario during our flight reviews rather than the way we currently do stalls and slow flight.