Mooney down Woodbine Nj

Danb

Horrifying.  I asked my instructor who knows that area well - he didn't know the pilot personally but heard he was quite experienced.  He was puzzled by the vertical impact profile (no ground scars), with no evidence of rotation (no spin?), and  no fire despite obviously breached tanks.  I will refrain from further speculation until there's real info, which  I would really like to have as a not-so experienced C model pilot who's landed at Woodbine several times previously.  

6 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

I was sent pics (detailed) from the scene , It was really bad , cage split (or smashed) in half 

The cages often deform considerably in crashes like these. Most of the time a “split” is the result of a first responder cutting the cage. Steel bends and balls up. I have seen some gruesome auto accidents. No matter how hard the impact, steel tends to bend not break. Can make it a challenge to extricate a body from wreckage

Edited by Shadrach

I can only hope to be physically and mentally well enough to fly a Mooney at 85.  One thing I noticed, if you forget to change the trim and flaps from landing to takeoff configuration, by the time you've stowed the gear you'll be right above stall speed.  That assumes you stow the gear quickly.  Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 3

This one shows the same impact signature as every stall/spin event I've seen .Mooneys,Navions,Cubs,you name it...pilots compartment crushed back and cord wise crushing to spar on wings.If rotating ,than one wing more compressed than the other.This is so sad..I want to shout out to all my fellow pilots...WHEN THE ENGINE QUITS OR THE PITCH GOES POSITIVE...SHOVE THE NOSE DOWN!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, thinwing said:

This one shows the same impact signature as every stall/spin event I've seen .Mooneys,Navions,Cubs,you name it...pilots compartment crushed back and cord wise crushing to spar on wings.If rotating ,than one wing more compressed than the other.This is so sad..I want to shout out to all my fellow pilots...WHEN THE ENGINE QUITS OR THE PITCH GOES POSITIVE...SHOVE THE NOSE DOWN!

The wings look entirely symmetric in this case - does that argue against a spin? Or maybe just that pilot had enough time to counteract with rudder but not enough altitude/speed to pull nose up after halting rotation?

When the engine stops making power, the airplane no longer belongs to you; It belongs to the insurance company. When you're playing blackjack and are showing a 16 against a 7, it's a bad hand. The correct bet is to hit, even though the odds are you'll lose, the odds are slightly less bad than not hitting. I've been to the crash site of the member here who went down into the trees at East Hampton. The trees were burned and the airplane was consumed in post-impact fire, but they got out before it ignited and survived. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1