engine heater for the winter

DaveB

https://www.aircraftheaters.com

I bought one of their little units.  Cheaper than either a Tanis or  Reiff system.  Sits in the nose behind my cowl plugs.  Never gets too hot to handle in my bare hands, keeps the whole engine bay at about 75 degrees F.  I cover the nose with moving blankets wheel I'm at it.  This is the third winter season for mine.

7 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I live in the south, so I can get away with a 60 watt bulb shoved in the cowl flap with a moving blanket over the cowl for insulation.  Keeps the temps within range for the oil.

I live close to Rob and agree as long as the plane is in a hangar.  If I didn't have a hangar, I'd just move further south.  :lol:

You know you are "far enough south", when someone says, "What's an engine heater?"

• Like 3

I have a Tannis that was installed on my airplane when I purchased it.  For years I've wanted to hook it up to a remote cell switch so I can turn it on a few hours prior to my winter flights.

I also built a heating until out of an electric space heater, dryer ducting, and heat tape.  I have it set to keep a certain temperature so it never got too hot.  That with a blanket would heat up the cowling just fine.  I would plug it in, go fill up the car with gas, run an errand, maybe breakfast, come back and go flying.  Now I would just get a remote cell switch for it.  You can build one for $25 to $50.  If my Tannis breaks, this is what I'll do.

I like that with the Tannis when I'm away at another airfield I can bring an extension cord (often not needed) and have the FBO run an extension cord out to my plane the night before or day of my flight.

I do not keep the heat on all the time -I only turn it on or plug it in the night before/day of a flight to warm it up for that flight.  Otherwise it is off.

I also took a look at https://www.aircraftheaters.com just now as suggested.  Nice device.  Maybe I'll consider one in the future, but I'll probably just build my own heating system like I used to if my Tannis dies.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

3 minutes ago, Seth said:

I have a Tannis that was installed on my airplane when I purchased it.  For years I've wanted to hook it up to a remote cell switch so I can turn it on a few hours prior to my winter flights.

I also built a heating until out of an electric space heater, dryer ducting, and heat tape.  I have it set to keep a certain temperature so it never got too hot.  That with a blanket would heat up the cowling just fine.  I would plug it in, go fill up the car with gas, run an errand, maybe breakfast, come back and go flying.  Now I would just get a remote cell switch for it.  You can build one for $25 to $50.  If my Tannis breaks, this is what I'll do.

I like that with the Tannis when I'm away at another airfield I can bring an extension cord (often not needed) and have the FBO run an extension cord out to my plane the night before or day of my flight.

I do not keep the heat on all the time -I only turn it on or plug it in the night before/day of a flight to warm it up for that flight.  Otherwise it is off.

-Seth

This is like the one I bought  https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mobile-Remote-Control-110-220V/dp/B0174NTYBQ

Also got a sim card from T-mobile for a few bucks, then enrolled it in a 3 for 30 prepaid plan.  3 dollars a month for 30 minutes or text.  Allows me to send a quick text a few hours before I am ready to fly to start warming up the engine (all for 3 bucks a month!).  Once I get to the airport I pull the dryer vent from the cowl and stick it in the window to preheat the cabin while I finish my preflight.  When I am all ready to go the engine and the cabin are both toasty. 

2p5ocfK4Cp1GwK-20U8iKRcHqEyymO0G_7nUzIm30oBjcbBWvo4yPAyidjTfH1nf52hR__UZcJhn0LU7cErwM1uJ1IetDYoluLipE_i8oBEbCttzCkgq6CF7gGCxDRvoYeOARzirp0m6nV-mYA92WsYNuZ_fyH6V2UVMciayprRvNw70AArbgUPT71xZukWLRBn3rt6sMvWPEdbU9pWn4nqBmtmzSO6Tf2gUJK89ap6t6hLJ6Jwr0zy0XZhtBEOLJ_n9wvOTtHtgyE58fMFY5EOVVqh3eQFzO4lqvN0pG2YZpMBF14Z2ImviAv8Ogl_fDfOiOcQzK2dX4p6fcmk8XHPTaETx5X0s22w1ZpFEDiA5_LIQb4t4TB4TLIK2jrDBoWbx6oX1g39Wq1IMqOiQae4k-r7jv2i0QhROABdEU_PRpry2a6G-9AJatVY4qQIz_nq_XhSy0wBIQ9wFA6m_QYE0eAjXbUcjLeW5N67xZpN_KTuqsQ2bzuUrz-_A6ZiMUqF20PzumDygVLZQXX83R4v4ppytUb9NObIwzhr5H6oTE5nzcH-j8QKARDsfCXiUdrfcz2wW5eEmrhlurUDaVMNcsj-MNDB3_ULAe8fcJa0ShMEL-d8GpHTFXHI_QyQ=w1739-h978-noBOIkypMCve4_c3HvZIe3pxa0z1NyEwms-keuiNYrPZQyZX8py-dCF-H6DE8du7SIuIefMxEm0DepoaxrSgyrcj-iWLxb9TK7JtpLA05sfBjc9zINLMm02vsL-_JEFu_l3VsR0eU5plAhNwk8EjgkQxCx4o6NioxaNssxlwLMBD6vLzYkps8FyefRdZVvr5kN534c9AlkYSzdrZhuiWjI51hrDEPz2WYCTFYJlfoU3leA8sYrPx_GxFZhbLBZmrNWZf1r72zmYkxjp6N3bp63XdWs6EB-c-vFrKJBuBJvuuyPu7fjUIkz0PVgyV2A8M_JZYW4Y-yKNIQqafx4uZpUPkyxA1fyI0jRlk7VJ6kLU328NEyfXwZRRZUHP911FwH4Y35w3W1Xzvm7R4DaiLWoKiCbimgb940pHJCQ7tw1Obvn3JUcKJhlCWpZLhg5pqk2UMx-qzIpM49M33ir5n1LkxGW5tAt7SSPWMFOYIKg9JctPEPfvrcHcnTQchIkckgkwPKWB8rnnaCxbx_-HkqJWETaezt72NxGg6kNSW2xH5JBSI3MJfMRMBxlTw4IU83Wk4253Hr7M9fxU_1yZon9cb4mgAX-ED8egBSwwG-5LxS0yFZ5RInd8POq5TTQgUc=w1739-h978-no41RvadOy3KL.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Mine looks a lot like yours. But I used a "semi rigid" clothes dryer hose, an it easily stays put when stuck at the opening for the cowl flap.

Looked at those, but if I remember correctly, they had a much larger footprint when placed in the back of the airplane.  I wanted something that would collapse better for storage when traveling. 

1 minute ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Looked at those, but if I remember correctly, they had a much larger footprint when placed in the back of the airplane.  I wanted something that would collapse better for storage when traveling. 

That is definitely a consideration. Mine never leaves my hangar.

I went with the Reiff because it is always installed. All I need on the road is a long extension cord. For me, using a portable heater with ducting was just too much setup and teardown, especially on a trip. The only downside is the Reiff is more expensive. But in the scheme of aviation things, it was worth it for me.

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I live close to Rob and agree as long as the plane is in a hangar.  If I didn't have a hangar, I'd just move further south.  :lol:

You know you are "far enough south", when someone says, "What's an engine heater?"

When my dad retired, he left frigid North Georgia in early February and drove south until he had to turn on the AC in his truck. Stayed in Frostproof, Florida for about 10 years . . .

• Haha 1

I have the Tanis system in my J hooked up to an internet enabled plug.  can you say "Alexa, turn on the Tanis"?  I use an LTE hotspot for internet at the hangar.   

The Tanis is a great system.  Mine is setup with 4 intake bolt heaters for the cylinder heads,  and a oil sump pad heater.  This kept the CHT wells free for the Insight engine monitor.  Tanis now has an LED status light available so you know you have the cord plugged in securely.  I toss a couple blankets over the cowl and prop and makes sure the cowl flaps are closed.  The Tanis needs about 2 hrs to warm up a cold soaked engine, or if I plan ahead I will turn it on the night before.

I had one on my Cherokee for years.  If I had it again I wouldn't bother with any kind of remote activation, I'd just keep it on all the time with cowl plugs in and blankets across the nose, just like I do with my little heater.  The Tanis can keep the engine bay nice and toasty warm all winter long.

I have used E-Z Heat sump pads for years.  I think they are 400 watt.  IO-360, low temp of about 20 degrees and left plugged in overnight the oil is will be about 80 degrees and the cylinders about 70 degrees.  Normally I stick a blanket in the front cowl openings to trap heat.  Previously on an IO-550 the pad was larger but temps were about the same.  Couple years ago I rebuilt the engine and bought a look-alike 200 watt sump pad heater off the internet (experimental).  Similar outside temps will get 55 degree oil and 50 degree cylinders.  Not sure if it is the lower rating or if the thermostat in the pad is set different.  Colder temps and I either stay home or move south.

On 10/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, DualRatedFlyer said:

This is probably my favorite home-built ive seen thus far.  Props to the creator for ingenuity. 

@bob865  Any PIREPS from using the system last winter? 

So I live in SC so we don't get all that many cold, pre-heat necessary, days each year.  The time shown in the pictures are the only time I had to use it after I built it.  I will say it worked very well the day I did use it, but it was also only in the upper 30s Fahrenheit that day so take that as a caveat to the story.  But some of the areas where it was blowing directly on got hot to the touch.  She started beautifully after heated too.  And despite any caveats to the story, it fit all of the requirements beautifully.  It was easy to use, super portable, completely self contained, small enough to fit in the back seat of the plane, and light enough to also fit in the plane had I wanted to carry it with me so I have to call it a 100% success.

I was working on it just the other day getting it ready for the upcoming cold weather and may need to put a new battery in it.  I failed to keep it on charge or use it over the summer so the batter completely died and I think it only has a few minutes of battery capacity in it now.  Completely my fault and not the fault of the equipment.  With that said I've contemplated trying to make a few mods to make it somewhat commercially viable.  Think there would be a market?  Anyone on Mooneyspace interested?

• Like 1