What is this under my wing

This weekend I took advantage of the last of the warm weather and cleaned the airplane.  While I was working on the underside of the wing I noticed one of the inspection panels has a slot in the middle where something is/was installed.  Since I don't have an HSI or slaved compass I ruled out a flux gate.  Any ideas.  It is on the left wing about three feet outboard from the fuselage near the leading edge.  Before I get out the screwdriver I figured I would ask the smart people first.

Note:  the photo of the belly was taken before I cleaned it :-)

accesspanel.jpg

location.PNG

The MooneySpace hive mind solved it.  I have a Hobbs, and used to have a KR87 (before the Avidyne upgrade).  It could have been connected to either device, my hobbs has always run from the time the master was turned on, so maybe that is default behavior with a missing vane.  I never used the ADF, except for AM radio so I don't remember if I ever saw the flight timer increment.  either way, looks like more useful load is available, or I will talk to Mark at AlphaSystems AOA and put something more useful in it's place.

Thanks for the help team!

On 10/23/2018 at 2:31 PM, Marauder said:

You have one of the coin operated Mooneys. They fell out of favor when people realized that keeping the correct amount of change onboard for a flight was difficult.

This is an old pic of mine from the eighties. I recently converted it to the GFC100 to take 100 dollar bills.

4EDFE9AA-D854-4F4C-8BBF-24F05718596C.jpeg

• Like 2