Nicks and scratches on black 65 C control yokes

Thanks Yetti,

the yokes are cream colour below the black finish so it really shows. I’m not able to post any pics right now. Wrapping in leather would be nice if I could buy a kit but with the finger grips built in I suspect it would be a pain. If I just spray new finish on the yokes I’m sure the nicks and deeper scratches would show in the finish. I guess I could lightly sand and put a very thin filler on and then more sanding before paint. What is popular these days for refurbing yokes??

The yokes are held on the shaft with a tapered bolt and a set screw, easily removed. I toke mine off for the AD inspection and had a local Hot Rod shop wrap them in leather. Another option is to have them powder coated vs painting, 

seems like someone has already painted them once.   some light sanding of the scratches to smooth them out.  also some light sanding to help the next coat adhere better.  if you don't go leather use nail cutters on the ty wraps when you replace them to remove the sharp edges

This is not addressing your question, but is there anyway you could rotate your ap  disconnect switch (I believe that’s what it is) on the upper left hand side of your yoke?  I realize in sudden stop the entire panel becomes a possible impact point for your head, but that switch mount would be like a dagger.  

12 hours ago, jazztheglass said:

There is an AD out for cracks  I believe.  I had to replace my yokes with new when I first got my C model.  It was very pricey!

The AD covers cracking of the chromed control column, not the actual wheel.  However the wheels can crack when the taper pin is over tightened.

Clarence

4 hours ago, cbarry said:

This is not addressing your question, but is there anyway you could rotate your ap  disconnect switch (I believe that’s what it is) on the upper left hand side of your yoke?  I realize in sudden stop the entire panel becomes a possible impact point for your head, but that switch mount would be like a dagger.  

I saw that too.   I would at least round the corners or try to make it more horizontal.   There is also this stuff  https://plastidip.com/

The liquid electrical tape would be a consideration.

27 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

I’m not clear on the powder coating option... my yokes have a thick plastic coating. I can’t powder coat that. Raptor, are your yokes stock? My right side yoke is split open along the handle

If you want to powder coat or paint them you need to Peel off all the original coating, sand off all the casting marks until they are smooth and then paint them. The original plastic coating will cover all that up, power coat will not. Laser knows someone who can redo the original plastic coating.

Original yoke finish was a dip into a polymer bath and then bake the solvent out of it...

The polymer was not very strong and cracks over the next few decades...

A modern powder electrostaticly coats a dusty polymer layer on and then bakes in the oven to have it fuse and adhere... the modern polymer exceeds the old version in strength and finish...

There is a guy that does leather yokes in TX for Mooney... the leather is cool in the summer and warm in the winter...

See @PTK‘s photos to see a really cool leather job he did for his yokes...

The FAA had some limitations early on for using powder coating.  There was some concern that the coating could disguise some hidden corrosion issues or cracks caused by the process...

Odd(?) considering the alternatives are pretty good at covering and hiding all kinds of issues...

PP thoughts only it a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

13 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you want to powder coat or paint them you need to Peel off all the original coating, sand off all the casting marks until they are smooth and then paint them. The original plastic coating will cover all that up, power coat will not. Laser knows someone who can redo the original plastic coating.

Thanks. I’ll have to take another look at my yokes- I had assumed that the original plastic coating was quite thick.