What’s your short field landing procedure?

3914N

2 hours ago, steingar said:

[snip[ Way better to go off the end of the runway after rollout and braking than to stall spin during the approach trying to squeeze into the runway.

...or come up short in the trees before the threshold.  Energy is the enemy.

With an engine out I want to be able to make as slow a landing (once the landing site has been chosen) as possible without coming up short or stall/spinning it.

Too slow and I might come up short or stall/spin. Too fast and I might be in the trees/houses/cars/etc beyond my chosen landing area. Either scenario could be deadly and counter to my goal of living through the event.

My thinking is no matter what don't get too slow.  If you wind up in the trees under control you'll probably survive.  If you come up short of the runway you may do a number on your gear, but you'll walk away.  Even if you overshoot the runway and go off the end in your rollout, odds are you'll survive hitting just about anything if you're doing it below 40mph.  I've hit things at that speed, and yes it hurt, but I walked away.  The main thing is that you walk away, you won't do that if you stall spin trying to make the runway.  Mooneys are stout, your airplane will protect you.  Fly it into the crash.

1 hour ago, skydvrboy said:

No, in an engine out energy is your friend.  And just like friends, it's easy to lose and hard to get back quickly if you need it.

you misunderstand me: when you've touched down, energy is your enemy. 

Edited by exM20K

47 minutes ago, steingar said:

My thinking is no matter what don't get too slow.  If you wind up in the trees under control you'll probably survive.  If you come up short of the runway you may do a number on your gear, but you'll walk away.  Even if you overshoot the runway and go off the end in your rollout, odds are you'll survive hitting just about anything if you're doing it below 40mph.  I've hit things at that speed, and yes it hurt, but I walked away.  The main thing is that you walk away, you won't do that if you stall spin trying to make the runway.  Mooneys are stout, your airplane will protect you.  Fly it into the crash.

obviously i wasn't clear - hitting trees at flying speed short of the runway is going to be worse than hitting trees at the departure end at less than flying speed 

57 minutes ago, exM20K said:

obviously i wasn't clear - hitting trees at flying speed short of the runway is going to be worse than hitting trees at the departure end at less than flying speed 

Both true, but hitting trees at flying speed is far better than stalling and spinning because you were trying to stretch your glide.  Best case is to stall just above the treetops for minimum crash landing.  But may none of us ever be in such a pickle.