Gear Safety Bypass

So I went out flying today, sight-seeing with a friend, and all of a sudden I hear an alarm. It was a constant, high pitched sound. I start scanning all the instruments, annunciators, radios, Sentry CO2 monitor, EVERYTHING!!! I powered off all the avionics and it quit while the avionics master was off. Fortunately we were flying straight and level at roughly 3,000' AGL. I immediately started scanning our location, as I turned back towards an airfield that was just a couple miles away. I kept checking and double-checking everything, and then started to question when I might have heard that specific sound before. Then, in a flash of my memory, I reached up and pushed the Gear Safety Bypass button, and low and behold the alarm went off!!! We were moving slow enough, so I cycled the gear, and they went down, and then back up fine. Turned back to home base, and landed without incident or any other alarm. Anyone ever experience this before? (While the airplane was in the air, not on jack stands!)

Appreciate your thoughts!

Typical alarms found in Mooneys....

1) Stall... steady sound 

2) gear up and throttle out combination... oscillating on off(?)

3) Carbon Monoxide (not dioxide)

4) Altitude alerts... Some GPSi are capable of delivering programmed alerts at altitudes above ground...

5) Marker beacons... go off depending where you are... tones change based on type of marker beacon they are... outer, middle, inner..

Got any of those?

Best regards,

-a-

So I went out flying today, sight-seeing with a friend, and all of a sudden I hear an alarm. It was a constant, high pitched sound. I start scanning all the instruments, annunciators, radios, Sentry CO2 monitor, EVERYTHING!!! I powered off all the avionics and it quit while the avionics master was off. Fortunately we were flying straight and level at roughly 3,000' AGL. I immediately started scanning our location, as I turned back towards an airfield that was just a couple miles away. I kept checking and double-checking everything, and then started to question when I might have heard that specific sound before. Then, in a flash of my memory, I reached up and pushed the Gear Safety Bypass button, and low and behold the alarm went off!!! We were moving slow enough, so I cycled the gear, and they went down, and then back up fine. Turned back to home base, and landed without incident or any other alarm. Anyone ever experience this before? (While the airplane was in the air, not on jack stands!)
Appreciate your thoughts!

You didn’t mention the status of your gear. Was both the gear safe (light off) and the mechanical indicator showing gear was retracted?

The only time I have ever heard it was when my donuts were frozen and it went off when I was trying to retract the gear. I have the squat switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

You didn’t mention the status of your gear. Was both the gear safe (light off) and the mechanical indicator showing gear was retracted?

The only time I have ever heard it was when my donuts were frozen and it went off when I was trying to retract the gear. I have the squat switch.

Yes, both annunciater light was off, and floor mounted indicator was green and lined up. And, this happened about 30-45 mins after take-off. 

Yes, both annunciater light was off, and floor mounted indicator was green and lined up. And, this happened about 30-45 mins after take-off. 

As was pointed out above, the floor indicator shouldn’t be green. It should be dark. I think I saw you are in a K model. You should have an air switch. I wonder if there is an issue with the air switch.

I would take a look at the wiring to the bypass switch and anything coming from the air switch which should be coming off of the airspeed indicator. M20Doc mentioned a procedure to check the switch. Hopefully you have a competent mechanic who could work the problem.

58 minutes ago, Marauder said:

As was pointed out above, the floor indicator shouldn’t be green. It should be dark. I think I saw you are in a K model. You should have an air switch. I wonder if there is an issue with the air switch.

I would take a look at the wiring to the bypass switch and anything coming from the air switch which should be coming off of the airspeed indicator. M20Doc mentioned a procedure to check the switch. Hopefully you have a competent mechanic who could work the problem.

My mistake. Yes the floor indicator was DARK, as it was supposed to be. It turned GREEN when I cycled the gear down. 

• Like 1