Landing gear small emergency!

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

Try LASAR, Don Maxwell, Jerry Presley @acpartswhse or your favorite salvage yard. I wonder if McFarland could make one, like they do with throttle / prop / mixture cables?

Thanks Hank.

Do you happen to have Don Maxwell ph#? I remember seeing it somewhere and I also remember that's the preferred way to contact him. You can PM me if you do not want to post it in here.

4 minutes ago, FastTex said:

Thanks Hank.

Do you happen to have Don Maxwell ph#? I remember seeing it somewhere and I also remember that's the preferred way to contact him. You can PM me if you do not want to post it in here.

No I don't. But he's at KGGG, Longview, TX. LASAR is somewhere in CA, maybe Stockton? I'd have to either google them or look for a receipt.

Good luck!

McMaster Carr or grainger should have the spiral cable and the inner core.    Probably just need the inner core.

It's like choke cables

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1300?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-summit-racing&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbveBRDVARIsAKxH7vlipETPHI0I3Pq6T_RMiQ-MGIRFAyU-P7cfIjyaLiRTfZgUieR5PCwaAswGEALw_wcB

But uses a flexible inner core.   It pulls to release the e gear.   the e gear springs to actuate the spine gears for the crank handle

20161202_092150.jpg

• Like 1

@FastTex, in Anderson SC you have a choice of Cole or @AGL Aviationat KMRN. Lynn Mace has the knowledge and equipment to completely check out your gear rigging. He sees quite a few Mooneys not properly rigged including at least one of the owners commenting above. 

Setting the preloads to the correct value is not expensive and once set should not change unless something happens but it is important to inspect all the components to be sure something has not been set out of spec to offset some other mistake. 

It would be good to have more information. If we assume you have a Dukes actuator, your symptoms point to a damaged disconnect coupling, not a cable. Has your mechanic taken the disconnect housing and gearbox apart to see what is wrong? Has he removed the speedometer cable and inspected the splined end?

Laser has replacement disconnect couplings. They used to be made out of unobtanium.

I called COLE Aviation and Joey suggested to overhaul the motor (which I think it's a good idea...). However, he uses a company in CA...but I remember someone here said do not send the part to the company in CA...any comments?

I still need to find the cable and fix the emergency gear before I fly to Dalton...

Thanks! 

I called COLE Aviation and Joey suggested to overhaul the motor (which I think it's a good idea...). However, he uses a company in CA...but I remember someone here said do not send the part to the company in CA...any comments?
I still need to find the cable and fix the emergency gear before I fly to Dalton...
Thanks! 

Probably George’s. I think that is who still works on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

Here are the pictures. Yes, it is the emergency release cable. My mechanic told me it is "frozen". The manual cranking system works if the motor is disengaged manually.

Any help finding the cable is appreciated. One of the picture is just the motor...

Thanks!

20181026_161013.jpg

20181026_161108.jpg

20181026_161006.jpg

20181026_161009.jpg

So, what's wrong with the cable?

I see you are missing the return spring. It will never work without the spring. The spring pulls the lever back which couples the speedometer cable to the motor.

Oh, I just read the post. You said it is frozen. I would remove the whole cable and soak it in oil then pull it back and forth until it loosens up. If you have any excess you can pull out the center cable and inspect it. to do that melt the cable with an acetylene torch just before it frays and grind it smooth with a Dremel. otherwise you will never get it back in. If the center cable is rusted beyond usability, just get some aircraft control cable with the same wire count and diameter and fish in a new piece.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

There is a spring missing that would pull the disconnect to the rear to engage the e disconnect crank handle.

Someone has been in that motor before.  See the 2 punch marks.

See if these guys will rebuild it  http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/

Someone did not do a E gear extension last annual.

You look to have two relays.   Mine has one relay

Yours does not look to have the brake in the back of the motor

9 minutes ago, Yetti said:

There is a spring missing that would pull the disconnect to the rear to engage the e disconnect crank handle.

Someone has been in that motor before.  See the 2 punch marks.

See if these guys will rebuild it  http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/

Someone did not do a E gear extension last annual.

You look to have two relays.   Mine has one relay

Yours does not look to have the brake in the back of the motor

You and Richard are saying the same thing: missing spring. How does it look? Is it something still available? 

The landing gear works just fine. The breaker only popped once. The mechanic has been cycling it multiple times with no problems. The idea is to fix the E-gear system and maybe overhaul the motor. Then I can fly and will schedule the one-day rig trip to Dalton whenever is convenient without the logistical nightmare of dropping the airplane for 10 days, coming back, going  there again, etc.

I see the spring. Maybe the mechanic took it out when he tested the manual cranking system which worked ok. I will ask. Yes, that's exactly what I think: motor might be ok, maybe it just need to be lubed/greesed. If I can replace the cable I can fly knowing that I have the E-gear working. I will rig it anyway later on. I just need to find the cable!

4 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I can't find the spiral push pull cable.   Someone said they bought a roll from mcmaster or grainger.   This may or may not be the same diameter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-122-Oregon-Universal-Push-Pull-Choke-Cable-96-Conduit-Go-Kart-Throttle-Cable-/272464583487

It’s not a push pull cable. It is a pull cable. It has a stranded center that cannot push.

3 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It’s not a push pull cable. It is a pull cable. It has a stranded center that cannot push.

Understood.  The same outer housing is used for the overhead vent with a solid core and is push pull....