JPI EDM 700

lifendet

4 hours ago, lifendet said:

I have the EDM 700 on my Aircraft but the hardware for downloads wasn't included. 

Do you actually have a serial port?  IIRC, the serial port output of the EDM-700 has to be a factory option, so if it's not installed you can't download stuff anyway.  On the other hand, it's possible you could have the serial port tied up behind the panel, and the owner who installed it didn't want it installed in the panel.

If you have a port and are just looking for the interface cable, I posted this USB-to-Serial adapter for $25 in prior threads.  It does work to connect to a Windows laptop, so one of those cheapo notebooks or tablets should work.

If you're looking for the box downloader that you can stick a USB drive in, that is proprietary and sold separately by JPI only for $200.  I'm curious as to whether there's anything complicated about it, but not everyone who has an EDM-700 will have one (I'm guessing most don't)

Look for what looks like a small headset socket... on the panel near the JPI...

That would be where the RS232 plug gets connected... 

Simple plug on one end small RS232 on the other...

Then the RS232 to USB converter for your modern laptop...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2018 at 3:55 PM, lifendet said:

I have the port behind my panel but I need the serial cable and download box according to JPI...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You don't need a download box if you have a laptop and install EzSave – Download flight data from EDMs  
I hard wired a d-sub connector in my panel for the USB to serial cable. If you  have a port behind your panel all you need is a small cable with a connector matching your port on one end and a female 9 pin d-sub on the other and a run of the mill USB to serial cable. Let me know if you need help building the adapter cable.

• Thanks 1

After fighting for years with a laptop using a serial to USB converter cable which had occasional comm port issues, which resulted in failed downloads, I broke down and bought the JPI box from Spruce last week. Bottom line: It’s a lot simpler than dragging the laptop to the airport, and a lot faster than having to boot up the computer, open the program and download the data. I can do it faster than it took to type this post!

2 hours ago, PeytonM said:

After fighting for years with a laptop using a serial to USB converter cable which had occasional comm port issues, which resulted in failed downloads, I broke down and bought the JPI box from Spruce last week. Bottom line: It’s a lot simpler than dragging the laptop to the airport, and a lot faster than having to boot up the computer, open the program and download the data. I can do it faster than it took to type this post!

I just started using this (ingenious) device myself, what a lifesaver. I didn't mind dragging the laptop to the hangar, but connecting it to two different cables and not having the laptop always respond to the signal resulted in so much frustration that I rarely used it. Now I connect the USB device to the port and off I go.

Thanks jay,

I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the pin-out for the pc interface cable that plugs into the panel mounted port. Looks like a fairly trivial cable to build for the technically inclined!

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/pc-interface-cable-for-edm-700-edm-800-and-edm-760/

Everything to build and download is in this doc:  http://www.jpitech.com/manuals/01/ReadMeBeforeDownload.pdf  They discuss the Keyspan USB to DB9 adapter. It was the only one I was successful with on mine.  Also, could not get the software to work properly on windows 10 so I used an old win7 laptop.

DB 9 Connector:

o
Pin#5 -ground
o
Pin#2 signal
Jack end:
o
Center hole is signal
o
Outside shaft is ground.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1