Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparillos

flyboy0681

31 minutes ago, Lance Link said:

I would mask the plastic, then sand the chrome heavily with 320 grit production paper and spray paint it with Alum-Hide (sp?) paint in your choice of color from the Brownell's gunsmithing catalogue (or some other type of serious epoxy paint).  Wear a good respirator the stuff will eat your lungs.  It will out last us all.  Probably not FAA certified though so there is that.  

Please remove the ashtray from the airplane and do it out side of the airplane or there will be another post "How do you get Alum-Hide off of windows in a Mooney?"

Tobacco is one of the greatest ironies of our civilization.  It is responsible for an outsized fraction of our health care costs, indeed I bet that for every dollar folks spend on tobacco products they spend two on health care, if they can afford it.  Truth is most tobacco users are the folks who can least afford health car or tobacco itself.

Fun fact about cigarettes.  Every time you take a puff your lungs regard the smoke as an irritant (imagine that?).  Specialized cells called macrophages come in and break down elastic fibers, which make of up the walls of the little sacs, called alveoli, that comprise your lungs.  These macrophages basically make little sacs into big sacs.

The problem is big sacs aren't as good at absorbing oxygen as little ones.  Hence the ability of your lungs to absorb oxygen decreases every time you smoke, and it never comes back ever.  Buying and smoking cigarettes is the dumbest thing you can do with your money.  In the Steinholme anyone caught smoking is assumed to be on fire and treated accordingly.

Had I ashtrays in my Mooney I'd take them out, stomp on them, and replace them with something less unpleasant.

10 hours ago, Lance Link said:

I would mask the plastic, then sand the chrome heavily with 320 grit production paper and spray paint it with Alum-Hide (sp?) paint in your choice of color from the Brownell's gunsmithing catalogue (or some other type of serious epoxy paint).  Wear a good respirator the stuff will eat your lungs.  It will out last us all.  Probably not FAA certified though so there is that.  

I must admit this is a bit much for me. Gunsmithing? Epoxy? 320 grit sandpaper?

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

When I was a very high number on a long seniority list, I thought smoking was great....for the senior captains with very low seniority numbers!  ;)

You always struck me as a pretty smart fellow, Gus!

• Haha 1