Interesting today in the pattern

jaylw314

Just a quick story from today--

I was hoping to get an IFR approach in today on the Oregon coast, but the forecast fog never showed up.  Oh, well, just a quick trip from Corvallis to Newport, then back.

On the way back, the wind was calm and 10 miles west of the airport I announced I was landing on 27.  Corvallis has two runways, the massive 35/17 and smaller 9/27.  The calm wind runway is 17, but 9/27 puts me closer to my hangar and there was nobody else on the radio in the pattern.  Still, I figured making a 45 entry to the downwind 27 would be safer than straight in to 9 since I wasn't sure there was no traffic. 

Sure enough, a second later a Cessna called 10 miles north straight in to 17.  There was no turbulence, so I was descending down to pattern altitude at 170 KIAS, so I figured I'd easily make it down before he did, and I could see him on my tablet through ADS-B.  Unfortunately, he must have been descending full throttle or something, because he ended up 2 miles out at the same time I turned on the downwind.  I asked him how far out he was, and he said he was planning to follow me to 17.  I pointed out I had been making calls for 27, at which point he said he would change plans and follow me onto 27.  I thanked him, and advised him I'd let him know when I was clear.  As I turned onto base, I could see him cross the airport to he south, and as I turned base, he called out a turn to downwind, so my attention turned to the landing.

Uneventful landing.  The smaller runway is a little bumpier, so I focused on keeping some back pressure.  The first turnoff generally requires slamming on the brakes, so I called that I'd take the turnoff near the end of the 3000' runway.  Once on the taxiway, I announced I was clear, and I heard the Cessna acknowledge and call out short final.

As I was facing east on the taxiway, I was curious to see what kind of Cessna it was.  I wondered if it was maybe a 210 or even 310 given how fast it had made it to the airport.  I kept looking for a few seconds, but couldn't see anything.  Just when I started worrying, the Cessna annouced, "uh, we're amending our landing to runway 9."  A few seconds later, what looked like a 182 landed in the opposite direction I had just landed.

Obviously, there was no actual conflict (he landed about 20-30 seconds after me), but I couldn't help but feel bad about triggering his last minute change of plans.  I said thanks and sorry over the radio, but didn't hear a response.

Anyway, not really a moral to the story, other than "fly safe!"

• Like 1

Sounds like a high work load environment was getting the better of the C182 pilot...

The conflict was happening inside C182 cabin...

I think the words helmet fire have been used to describe that...

The C182 was trying to follow along... he just was unable...

Glad you were able to make contact with the errant pilot... and follow up on MS afterwards...

Thanks for sharing...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I’m still amazed that one of the only times pilots are in a rush to land is if they think they can win a race to the airport!  It must be an innate  behavior we all have (and I include myself in “we”).

• Like 2