Wrong Way Pattern

apenney

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

The joys of uncontrolled airports!

Be careful out there.

Yeah.... yikes!

My best go-around at my rural airport.  Snow plow on the runway.  They are supposed to be on the radio while doing plowing operations on the airport.  But...sometimes they aren't.  I just know that because I'm a local.  Now that would bend some metal hitting a big snow plow truck.

• Like 2

At our airport, it's deer, mowers, golf carts, kids, dogs, and visitors oblivious to the fact the wide expanse of grass is a runway.  Added to the mix is a non-standard (north downwind) pattern.

Savvy pilots use an incredible device to overcome the hazards:  their eyes.  So far. 100% effective.

20181020_094103.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I saw two idiots in that video--one who flew a helicopter in front of landing traffic rolling out, then bozo in the Piper landing the wrong way . . . . Gotta keep your eyes open and always be ready

I'm not so sure the helicopter was at fault--he was ahead of the landing aircraft, presumably in the process of landing/low pass.  The camera never shows the runway but you can hear him well before the landing aircraft reaches the runway.  As such, the helicopter would have had the right of way, and it looks like he appropriately hovered off the runway into the taxi area.  If anything, I'd fault the landing aircraft for not going around, since the helicopter was essentially still on the runway until well after he touched down.  I think that may be why the landing aircraft got all wonky--he probably slammed on the brakes when he realized there was actually a helicopter still on the runway in front of him.

Incidentally, anyone know what kind of plane that was?

8 hours ago, Hank said:

I saw two idiots in that video--one who flew a helicopter in front of landing traffic rolling out, then bozo in the Piper landing the wrong way . . . . Gotta keep your eyes open and always be ready

Hey!  Go easy on us Piper owners.  I don’t think that was a Piper.

Clarence

So destination $100 hamburger airport.   right at the end of the diner closing.   wind 060 and everyone was using the 34 or 35 runways across the area and 34 at this airport.

King Air calls to land 16 at 10 miles out.  

at 5 miles out calls again for 16

I suggest that "everyone has been using 34 and winds are 060."

"he asked how many were in the pattern"

I said I may be.

He switched and landed 34

Not sure if should have said anything, but seemed like the right thing to do.

Not sure how much tailwind a King Air can handle with a 6000 foot runway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

So destination $100 hamburger airport.   right at the end of the diner closing.   wind 060 and everyone was using the 34 or 35 runways across the area and 34 at this airport.

King Air calls to land 16 at 10 miles out.  

at 5 miles out calls again for 16

I suggest that "everyone has been using 34 and winds are 060."

"he asked how many were in the pattern"

I said I may be.

He switched and landed 34

Not sure if should have said anything, but seemed like the right thing to do.

Not sure how much tailwind a King Air can handle with a 6000 foot runway.

It was probably less of a tailwind issue than that the FARs require straight in traffic to not interfere with planes that are in the pattern, and recommend merging nicely into the pattern themselves. 

King Air 200s routinely visit my 3200' home field . . . .

Edited by Hank

1 hour ago, Hank said:

It was probably less of a tailwind issue than that the FARs require straight in traffic to not interfere with planes that are in the pattern, and recommend merging nicely into the pattern themselves. 

King Air 200s routinely visit my 3200' home field . . . .

Discussed in another thread--nobody is aware of any specific FAR regarding straight-in traffic at uncontrolled field, just the right-of-way rules about two landing aircraft and AIM guidelines about how to behave.