For all us procrastinators ADS-B Rebate

MARZ

From the notice

The FAA recently announced it is relaunching its $500 ADS-B rebate program effective immediately and through Oct. 11, 2019. The Agency is making $4,900,000 available under the rebate program, which will fund 9,792 ADS-B Out installations.

As of Jan. 1, 2020, aircraft flying in airspace where a transponder is necessary today will be required to be equipped with compliant ADS-B Out technology.

“The ADS-B mandate is not going away. We are about 15 months from the Jan. 1, 2020 deadline and now is the time for aircraft owners to equip,” said FAA Acting Administrator Dan Elwell.

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) welcomed the rebate’s return.

“Pilots across America thank Acting Administrator Elwell for reopening the ADS-B out rebate that will make our skies safer and more efficient by incentivizing even more pilots to adopt the cutting-edge technology. This is the last opportunity for GA aircraft owners to take advantage of the FAA rebate in meeting the 2020 deadline,” said AOPA President and CEO Mark Baker.

The previous rebate program, which ran from Sept. 19, 2016 to Sept. 18, 2017, issued more than 10,000 rebate payments.

As before, there are five steps aircraft owners should follow to meet the mandate and receive the $500 rebate:

• Purchase the equipment and schedule installation.
  • Obtain a Rebate Reservation Code by reserving a position online.
  • Install the equipment.
  • Conduct the required equipment performance validation and get an Incentive Code.
  • Claim the $500 rebate online using the Rebate Reservation Code and Incentive Code.

As with the earlier rebate program, the rebate program is available only to those who have not yet equipped their aircraft. 

They should have made this retroactive to the end of the last rebate.   We upgraded this past summer and because the rebate is not retroactive, we get to stand by and not enjoy the warm cozy feeling of a government handout.   No wonder people don't trust the government.  It encourages poor behavior (procrastination).:angry:

• Like 2

Classic, I tried to register today and welcomed to the following after clicking all the check boxes.

We are experiencing technical difficulties with the website and are working on a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We apologize for any inconvenience; please continue to check back for when the website is available. 

I hadn't heard about this additional rebate until this thread.  I've been one of those procrastinators.  This rebate got my but in gear.  My local shop is booked through Feb.  So, time to pull the trigger.

This is the quote I received:

GTX345 $6800 installed and tied to 530W

Flight Stream 210 $1750 installed

Credit for existing GTX330 $250.  I know it's upgradable, however I'd like ADSB in and the ability to link to my Ipad

Credit for existing GDL69 $500

Do these numbers Jive?? I'm mostly interested in if the removal items may be worth more than the credits given.  Before anyone mentions Satellite Radio.. My GDL was turned off long ago but it must have missed the "kill signal"  I've never paid a fee.  I've always had satellite weather, just no radio. (I'm happy with my Ipod) Just figured I'd loose some weight in the process and sell it if I could.

1 hour ago, Eraaen said:

I hadn't heard about this additional rebate until this thread.  I've been one of those procrastinators.  This rebate got my but in gear.  My local shop is booked through Feb.  So, time to pull the trigger.

This is the quote I received:

GTX345 $6800 installed and tied to 530W

Flight Stream 210 $1750 installed

Credit for existing GTX330 $250.  I know it's upgradable, however I'd like ADSB in and the ability to link to my Ipad

Credit for existing GDL69 $500

Do these numbers Jive?? I'm mostly interested in if the removal items may be worth more than the credits given.  Before anyone mentions Satellite Radio.. My GDL was turned off long ago but it must have missed the "kill signal"  I've never paid a fee.  I've always had satellite weather, just no radio. (I'm happy with my Ipod) Just figured I'd loose some weight in the process and sell it if I could.

the install sounds a bit on the high side, but then again, there may be excess demand right now driving up install costs.  I got a KT-74 (with the my existing 530w as source) installed for about $2400 in labor, which I thought was about $1500 too high (it's the same damn tray and one fricking wire!), but others here suggested it still might be in the ballpark.

That's interesting about your GDL69.  I have one, too, installed by the previous owner, and I continue to get weather data indefinitely without a subscription.  I had wondered if the prior owner had purchased some kind of lifetime subscription, but now I wonder if it's a common occurrence.  I had thought about contacting the prior owner out of guilt, but he apparently passed away a few years ago.

Quite honestly, if you're looking for ADS-B In and you have a 530W, the display on the 530W is already cluttered enough, I'd suggest just planning on ADS-B Out--the ADS-B In is not worth the $2000 difference.  With the indefinite weather on the GDL69, I think you'd have better situational awareness displaying the traffic (and weather) ADS-B info on your tablet anyway