AOPA and Mooney

bonal

Over the years as a member of AOPA I have begun to suspect that they don't like Mooneys. Of coarse they had to do an article on the Ultra as all the other publications were covering the release of the new model. But other than the paid add on page one you will be hard pressed to find any mention of our beloved M,s let alone a photo. So I'm looking through the newest edition of AOPA Pilot and to my surprise they have the M20J  listed on their budget buy where they do a brief review of a used model each month. I must say the comments were not very complimentary. Not really bad but certainly not very complimentary.  Whenever they cover big fly in events both in publications and on their weekly live show there is never a shot with a Mooney in view. Anyway it just seems a little odd. Do any of you get the same notion.<_<

I have never noticed any anti-Mooney bias with AOPA. I think they try hard to be vendor neutral and pretty much love all airplanes. The fact that you don’t see as many Mooney airplanes in air show photos could be related to the fact that there just aren’t as many Mooneys in the fleet as there are other manufacturers. I haven’t read the used plane review you mention, but these articles usually try to give a balanced opinion for every plane so they don’t tend to be glowing.

• Like 4

Mooney talk ? Yes I noticed that too I've never heard of it and I bet they meant Mooney Space. Again just goes to my point of not having much love for our brand.  I agree we are a low percentage of the GA brand but I can say that just about every where we fly there are other Mooney's parked around the Tarmac to be seen. 

That piece just had a lot of things flat out wrong. I don't think the author has ever been in a J, and just did some cursory internet research and threw a poor column together.

I don't think there is an anti-Mooney bias at AOPA. I've been a member for 27 years ago far and got real excited when they did a J refurb for their sweepstakes plane back in 2000-ish. There were lots of good articles that year especially.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

That piece just had a lot of things flat out wrong. I don't think the author has ever been in a J, and just did some cursory internet research and threw a poor column together.

I don't think there is an anti-Mooney bias at AOPA. I've been a member for 27 years ago far and got real excited when they did a J refurb for their sweepstakes plane back in 2000-ish. There were lots of good articles that year especially.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

That J flew in the Mooney Caravan to Oshkosh this year...

I don't feel their is a bias against Mooney's by AOPA.  AOPA picked the 201 for their Millennium sweepstakes because they wanted something special to commemorate the turn of the century.  The cover of the edition which featured the almost finished sweepstakes airplane was "Prize of the Century".  Previously, the "best" airplanes they gave away was an Arrow and a Cessna 206.  The Mooney is far sexier and efficient than either of them.   

On 10/16/2018 at 10:12 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Someone, @mooneygirl(?), needs to give Senior Editor jill.tallman@aopa.org a ride in a Mooney. (What's MooneyTalk?)

Mooney talk is a political list serve set up by -javier henderson to keep the Little Timmy's off the mooney@aviating.com and mooney-tech@aviating.com list servers. While not as active as these lists once were, they still have some activity on them. The Mooney Talk list was all about bashing the other side of the isle and anything NON Mooney.

see 

http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo

Jolie @mooneygirl  -jav set up a list just for Spousal and friends who fly right seat about 15 years ago  if you are interested in using it. See http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo/mooney-rs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Mooney talk is a political list serve set up by -javier henderson to keep the Little Timmy's off the mooney@aviating.com and mooney-tech@aviating.com list servers. While not as active as these lists once were, they still have some activity on them. The Mooney Talk list was all about bashing the other side of the isle and anything NON Mooney.

see 

http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo

Jolie @mooneygirl  -jav set up a list just for Spousal and friends who fly right seat about 15 years ago  if you are interested in using it. See http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo/mooney-rs

I think she meant MooneySpace and wrote MooneyTalk. 

I read the article in Pilot and I did not come away thinking that AOPA was against Mooney, I doubt that they are. What struck me was that the article was poorly researched. 

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I think she meant MooneySpace and wrote MooneyTalk. 

I read the article in Pilot and I did not come away thinking that AOPA was against Mooney, I doubt that they are. What struck me was that the article was poorly researched. 

I agree 100%

Its a very brief article, many facts are wrong, but what more we can we expect from  Cherokee 140 pilot that got her info from browsing MooneySpace! (with all due respect to Jill :) ) 

• Haha 1