64 or 65... That is the question

15 hours ago, M20C_AV8R said:

Mine is s/n 2825 1965 M20c -, 52 gallons, square windows, I had the same questions when I bought mine, also, I used to live in Huntersville for many years, do you fly out of concord?

I will...right now my newly acquired Mooney is being tended to by Joey Cole down in  Ga.  It will be another 2-3 weeks before he's done... the airplane has been mechanically neglected.  I'm having all the stuff fixed and adding shoulder harnesses. 

There are quite a few upgrades that came with the 65 model...

Nice to have details to know about when buying a plane...

Expensive to add after owning the plane...

Comparing to automotive model years and serialization rules of the 60’s... ?

Skip that fuss... Better things to throw money at lie ahead...

If you have the square windows you can pat yourself on the back, while painting rounded corners, to make it look like a More modern J...   :)

Have no fear... anyone that wants to know... will use their handy phone and type in the registration or serial number.

I really liked my modern looking 65C.

Best regards,

-a-

I looked up the tail, ends in GS right?

Look carefully at the FAA fields... it's MFR year 1964.

So based on S/N you have a 1965 M20C built in 1964.

Edit, I lied, there's a newer revision. You have an AFM, but I still don't. I'm 3231

From the TCDS:

(a) FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual Mooney Mark 20C, dated October 20, 1961 for S/N 1852, 1940 thru 3184.

Edited by smwash02

#3157, a 1965 M20C, had it’s AW flights documented in its airframe log in August 1965... 

The flight was signed by the test pilot and engineer of record... Mr. Bill Wheat...

That written document pretty much tells when manufacturing was complete as the final QC is done...

Unfortunately it doesn’t tell much about the history of parts used up to that point.  

Only the serial numbers listed in the factory records tell the whole story... there are about 10 airframes with hard to follow serial numbers, as they were taken out of order for various development projects and then some returned later in the year... with a little effort, each plane can be a known entity, they are all very well documented...

PP thoughts only... not betting on the quality of my memories... Some are better than others...

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/17/2018 at 4:13 PM, Mike Ropers said:
On 10/17/2018 at 4:13 PM, Mike Ropers said:

Contact Frank Crawford at Mooney - he sent all the original documents for my 67F including the appropriate poh and build list scanned from a microfiche file 

fcrawford@mooney.com

Done,

Thanks