64 or 65... That is the question

17 minutes ago, MIR2018 said:

My (recently new-to-me) M20-C has a serial number of 2858.  Its been called a 1964 since the beginning but that serial number is among those for 1965 Mooney-Cs... Should I pursue correcting this or just Own me a '64?

do you have square rear window or the curved rear window?

Curved = 64

square = 65

6 minutes ago, TTaylor said:

Mooney followed car manufacturers of the time.  The ‘Model Year’ has nothing to do with registration date.  Why worry about changing it?  You have a 65 model built in 64.  

If I bought a 1965 Mustang that was built in September of 1964, the registration still identifies it as a 1965 not a 1964, right... I know I'm picking nits, right? Just thought for accuracy sake, I should get it fixed... but first wanted to confirm my thoughts with you folks first

Edited by MIR2018

1 minute ago, MIR2018 said:

If I bought a 1965 Mustang that was built in September of 1964, the registration still identifies it as a 1965 not a 1964, right... I know I'm picking nits, right? Just thought for accuracy sake, I should get it fixed... 

Focus on something more important.  There is nothing to fix.  Unless of course you still don’t have front shoulder belts.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, MIR2018 said:

If I bought a 1965 Mustang that was built in September of 1964, the registration still identifies it as a 1965 not a 1964, right... I know I'm picking nits, right? Just thought for accuracy sake, I should get it fixed... but first wanted to confirm my thoughts with you folks first

I'm pretty sure for car registration, the date is the "model year", not the year of manufacture.  A quick google search suggests that the model year starts in October and goes through the following October, so a 2018 "model year" car was built in either 2018 or 2017.  So another 1965 Mustang could have actually been built in 1965

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

Focus on something more important.  There is nothing to fix.  Unless of course you still don’t have front shoulder belts.

I ordered them installed while in prepurchase... wouldn’t fly without them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

What difference does it make?  I have the same issue with my F.  It is listed some places as a 65 and others as a 66.  As long as it doesn’t change the plane in some way, I don’t care which it is.

If you did a vref on a 64 and 65 with everything else the same... I wonder, would it be worth more? 

• Like 1

If you have squared windows and quarter turn fasteners on the cowl, call it a ‘65, even if built in ‘64.  I was looking at both when I bought.  Love my ‘64, but wish I had a ‘65 cowl...a little easier to pull the panels.  Enjoy it either way!