Drone strike

Little Dipper

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/10/16/drone-airplane-crash-test-llr-orig.cnn

The video of a drone strike on a M20 wing is scary interesting.   I wonder what would happen if it hit the leading edge where the gas tank is located?   I also wonder if tks would have helped lessen the damage.

Norm

The impact location shown on the video would impair the aileron control rod. If the impact is deep enough electrical wires in the wing could shorten and spark a fuel tank fire. Drones are smaller than planes thus harder to see them. On the other hand drones fly at lower speeds so any encounter with them would be in front. Try to fly high to avoid them.

José  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Piloto said:

The impact location shown on the video would impair the aileron control rod. If the impact is deep enough electrical wires in the wing could shorten and spark a fuel tank fire. Drones are smaller than planes thus harder to see them. On the other hand drones fly at lower speeds so any encounter with them would be in front. Try to fly high to avoid them.

José  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-9_Reaper

Cruise speed about 170 knots and wingspan 69 feet.  Running into one would definitely be a bad day.  Some of us could get hit from behind by one of these suckers, too. Just sayin' ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I want to see the drone cannon they used to launch that thing.

In reality it shouldn’t be any worse then hitting a bird of the same mass.

I wonder if it had a fully charged battery? I would have expected to see some chemical reaction from a smashed battery.

According to the article here  drone impacts can do considerably more damage than birds of the same mass.   Birds go splat and disintegrate more than drones.   Think about those dense little electric motors.   The bird damages the leading edge, but not the main spar.   The drone damages the main spar.

28 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

According to the article here  drone impacts can do considerably more damage than birds of the same mass.   Birds go splat and disintegrate more than drones.   Think about those dense little electric motors.   The bird damages the leading edge, but not the main spar.   The drone damages the main spar.

I stand corrected.

Here is a better link to the report:

http://www.assureuas.org/projects/deliverables/sUASAirborneCollisionReport.php

Drones are already a miracle of micro circuitry, how about a requirement to have them pick up the signal from a transponder or ADS-B and back off when it senses it's too close?

This solution won't speak for the millions already in circulation however.

• Like 1

Interesting they used a Mooney wing. I guess it’s one of the only small aircraft that can reasonably reach 238 mph. :D

What would it do at say 150-180 mph which is the speeds we would be flying at lower altitudes? Any physics guys wanna chime in.

44 minutes ago, INA201 said:

Interesting they used a Mooney wing. I guess it’s one of the only small aircraft that can reasonably reach 238 mph. :D

What would it do at say 150-180 mph which is the speeds we would be flying at lower altitudes? Any physics guys wanna chime in.

The 238 mph is the relative velocity 160mph + 78mph = 238mph. Although drones usually fly at a much lower speed than 78mph. Assuming a relative velocity of 200mph the total Energy impact would be 30% less, enough to scrape the paint:( As E=1/2mv^2 shows mass is also a significant factor.

Meteorite impact at 20 times the speed of sound on a manned space vehicle exposed for 9 months trip to Mars is of major concern. It would make a clean hole on the spacecraft and occupants.

José

Edited by Piloto

14 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I am betting if the propellers were on and spinning on the drone they would provide some useful deflection capability.

Nah, even at normal speeds the props are going so fast they just shatter into a bazillion pieces when they hit something solid.  If you watch videos of drones crashing (no shortage of that), you don't see them hop to the side or anything when they crash--they do so with a satisfying "thud" and that's it.