Paint recommendations

Comet

Ok, at the risk of starting something...what are people’s current thoughts on paint shop recommendations.   Preferably in the southern US.  Artcraft in CA and Hawk in FL are on my list.  Any recommendations for shops in AZ, MO, TX or others?  I’m planning on a complete strip and paint.  Other th8ngs I should watch out for?  Thanks!

Have you selected a paint scheme yet...

We have a few threads for selecting the paint, the stripper, the processes, and the designs...

A few more regarding the painters as well... Artcraft has done a few NS paint projects, Hawk too, mine was done in NJ by Reese Brothers. (An AOPA Project Mooney painter)

We have rode right seat with some MSers through the entire process...

And others that told us it was coming, but we didn’t see a thing until it was complete!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

New paint jobs typically look great.

Eleven years ago (OMG!) I used Matthews Aviation at Yerington, NV. Total strip and paint with some repair, new fasteners and such and was very competitive to $$ NW shops so I flew down from Seattle.

After all the years 14M still gets compliments, and I'm pleased with the paint job, they were experienced with Mooney and on time. Drove me to KRNO to catch a Horizon Air back home and picked me up when 14M was ready.

One thing I'm sorry about is they convinced me to leave inspection panels on for a painting. It is I who removes them annual time so it annoys me seeing like that but perhaps not important to other owners. Removal and paint was options and originally I intended to do that but...

Exciting times, planning for new paint. Have fun and good luck.

I recently purchased an F from Maxwell.  He had it painted on the field in Longview.  On Saturday, the Mooney MAX people came to my airport for a day at the museum.  A number of folks came by my hangar to see the plane.  I got plenty of serious compliments on the paint job to include a many thousand hour Mooney transition instructor who has seen lots of Mooney’s telling me that it is the best paint job he has ever seen.  If you want to check out the paint job, call Don Maxwell at Maxwell Aciation and I expect he would be happy to give you contact information for the paint shop.

8AFBEA51-2566-4AB8-9DC8-DE0E8AF1644A.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Igor_U said:

One thing I'm sorry about is they convinced me to leave inspection panels on for a painting. It is I who removes them annual time so it annoys me seeing like that but perhaps not important to other owners. Removal and paint was options and originally I intended to do that but...

Hawk removed all panels, including those which are not required to do an annual, and one piece belly. Everything possible was painted off the plane. All new SS hardware including the 90 deg quick lock fasteners on cowl, oil door, and battery access door with cup nylon(?) washers. Teflon anti chafe tape in several places. Lots of attention to detail.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I think that is Aerosmith.  I got a quote from them too. Can’t speak to the quality but they were twice the Hawk price at 18,000$ in 2013.  

C2BDF99B-675F-4046-B387-8BA5C9F06CB7.png

They are doing the custom paint on the new Ultra's coming out of the factory. I got a quote from them to do my 252 as well and it was... WOW. 

After seeing @Bob_Belville and @jetdriven Mooneys... Hawk will be painting my 252 when the time comes. Hopefully he's as good with Blue as he is with Red.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 8:29 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Another Hawk job. Complete strip, new hardware, all Imron, under $13,000. Joe is moving into a larger facility and hopes to be able to better stay on schedule. (Scheme Designers helped with paint scheme.)

629-1.jpg

IMG_20180710_142623552_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20180710_142512734_HDR[1].jpg

The key to staying “on schedule” is not having a larger facility. The key is to not have thirteen to sixteen planes on site in various stages of  the process at the same time. The most successful shops have three to four planes on site and focus on getting them done properly in a prompt and efficient manner. I know because I once worked as a paint stripper at a highly regarded paint shop at Torrance Airport in the 1970s. Ted had all the work he ever wanted and consistently turned airplanes in two weeks, not three to six months. Then again, you have to have good people who know how to work.

P.S. This IS a beautiful Mooney!

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 5:29 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Another Hawk job. Complete strip, new hardware, all Imron, under $13,000. Joe is moving into a larger facility and hopes to be able to better stay on schedule. (Scheme Designers helped with paint scheme.)

629-1.jpg

IMG_20180710_142623552_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20180710_142512734_HDR[1].jpg

A unique and beautiful Mooney design- I think this is my new favorite!

• Like 1

It’s even nicer when you see it up close!

It was sharing a hangar opposite a factory supplied, new Ultra.

You have to know Mooneys to be able to tell Bob’s M20E wasn’t newly manufactured!

The fancy cowl on the front makes it look like a junior Acclaim.

This occurred at Mooney Summit this year.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

They are doing the custom paint on the new Ultra's coming out of the factory. I got a quote from them to do my 252 as well and it was... WOW. 

After seeing @Bob_Belville and @jetdriven Mooneys... Hawk will be painting my 252 when the time comes. Hopefully he's as good with Blue as he is with Red.

I crawled all over those two Mooney's at OSH and also that Miami Blue 911 convertible.   Anyways it looks like they sanded the paint edges and put clear coat all over the whole plane, which adds another 30lbs and doesnt last over time. It sure looks nice right now. They also spray some sort of polyester filler primer, "bondo in a gun" as we say, and then blocked it to make the wing and forward fuselage smooth. But you can still see the rivets and stringers becuase that stuff shrinks.

I dont think that kind of job was 18 grand either. Maybe quite a bit more.

I’ve seen several Aerosmith paint jobs. 

Aggreed I can’t afford them, but they do amazing work. 

Some paint shops remaining nameless leave a lot on the table. 

It’s just frustrating that one can’t get an Aerosmith job for the back woods price. 

I’m overseeing a Duncan paint project at the moment. I was impressed at what they thought were flaws in the paint and have redone. 

One thing I’ve learned was that the painters prefer the PPG products over anything else. 

-Matt

14 hours ago, BKlott said:

The key to staying “on schedule” is not having a larger facility. The key is to not have thirteen to sixteen planes on site in various stages of  the process at the same time. The most successful shops have three to four planes on site and focus on getting them done properly in a prompt and efficient manner. I know because I once worked as a paint stripper at a highly regarded paint shop at Torrance Airport in the 1970s. Ted had all the work he ever wanted and consistently turned airplanes in two weeks, not three to six months. Then again, you have to have good people who know how to work.

P.S. This IS a beautiful Mooney!

I do not disagree entirely but that are factors that cause it to take several weeks for a quality job.

• Weather, especially humidity, must cooperate.
  • My plane has 4 trim colors including stripes that require masking and remasking. That necessitated at least a week in the paint booth in addition to the time spend doing the masking. 
  • Repairs and filling. My cowl was particularly beat up due to age and multiple mods over the years.
  • Final assembly. Since everything removable was removed and painted separately. It took at least a couple of days to reassemble. 

20 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

They spent 4 days doing bodywork on my plane and no extra charge.  They found about 20-30 small dents that I didn’t even know about and fixed them all. 

I am sure my old '66 E had even more dents, scratches and old filler. I don't think Joe is willing to paint over any defects without repairing. When the dust settled I was satisfied that the extra time was worth it.  

Hawk is the best, on either coast, without a doubt. :) The number of happy Mooney customers down here is amazing, and you know how picky and frugal we can be. Joe has been painting Mooney aircraft for over 30 years, and he STILL doesn't sit in an office.  

Nice paint scheme Parker, and I know what you mean.