Looking for Mooney PPI in Chicago

201Steve

Hey folks, first of all- thanks for the content. I have scoured through quite a bit of information on this forum and appreciate the input of many. I am currently in the process of trying to buy a J as my first airplane. I am a pretty cautious buyer in general, which makes the process less fun but... I want to feel good about the purchase. All of that said, I am trying to get a thorough pre-purchase inspection done at the sellers hangar. He's not allowing the inspection be done anywhere but his hangar, so it's made the process a little less straight forward. I currently have a couple of options on the table, with folks who've recommended people in the Mooney Pilots facebook group, but their availability has been somewhat limited. I'd really like someone who is intimately familiar with Mooney and of course, who is willing to travel to sellers location for a PPI. If you have any names you could throw in the hat, it would be most appreciated. Milwaukee/Racine/Chicago areas preferably. Thanks for any help.

There is a MSC at Schaumburg with whom I have no experience.  I have had very good experience over the last 14 years with Travel Express at Du Page.  They have come to my hangar at a nearby private field for simple MX, but frankly, were I in your shoes, i’d refuse the “only in my hangar” pre-purchase.  

• Like 1

@exM20K Funny how immediately everyone sniffs out the odd circumstances. I didn't feel like posting about the entire situation, as I've gotten a lot of feedback on the Mooney Pilots facebook group, but it's been very frustrating... The question I keep coming back to is, "Can I get a thorough enough pre-buy done in someone elses hangar." The feedback is mixed, so I'm seeing if I can salvage the deal with someone who feels confident they can comb through it well at the sellers place. I don't know... I feel confident about the deal, but it's been a PITA dealing with this guy. I could wait, but it's back to the question, what is necessary?

There are good ways to do a PPI and there are other ways to do a PPI...

There are good reasons to have a PPI done.  And some not good reasons too...

Some sellers aren’t comfortable with the steps needed to sell a plane.

As a buyer trying to be comfortable buying a plane that won’t leave the hangar ... that is an odd step...

Some planes are so aged... that there is so much worn out with little life in some parts... it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to take the plane very far to get a 10 or 20 amu list of recommended work done...

Are you committed to buying this plane if proven airworthy?

Or is this a negotiating strategy to find every worn nut and bolt?

Or are you going to be surprised by a 10amu list of worn nuts and bolts? Non AW nuts and bolts of course...

Some planes are so well kept, just their owners are beyond quirky...

Have you seen the plane in person yet?

See it first, then organize the PPI based on what you see.

Real PPIs can be expensive to perform. Define what you are going to have done during the ppi, there is no standard for that...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, exM20K said:

There is a MSC at Schaumburg with whom I have no experience.  I have had very good experience over the last 14 years with Travel Express at Du Page.  They have come to my hangar at a nearby private field for simple MX, but frankly, were I in your shoes, i’d refuse the “only in my hangar” pre-purchase.  

“Refuse the only in my hangar prepurchase”? Why not? A thorough prebuy can be done anywhere. I traveled to the Atlanta area to do the prebuy on my Mooney. Wasn’t all that difficult. Many shops have forgotten the basic premise of customer service. I don’t think this owner is being all that unreasonable as he knows a good prebuy can be done in his hangar and not in a shop where it can potentially become hostage to someone’s opinion or worse, damaged. 

The answer to the OP’s question about can a thorough prebuy be done in the sellers hangar is yes, absolutely. 

• Like 1