GPSS & Waypoints

KLRDMD

I saw the discussion regarding the 135 degree turns. Next time I fly, I will fly one that has at least 135 degrees. I calculated the highest angle on the flight I did and it was only 98 degrees. I have a couple other waypoints I could use that will give me in excess of 180 degrees.

When I looked at my Garmin Pilot track afterwards, saw a funny anomaly. Where I did my runup, it looked like a little explosion. 

bc0c549ad6b0cc1e8d4b92ad82657607.png

And for entertainment only value, this is the coupled approach I flew after the waypoint experiment. I am testing out a new GoPro in preparation for some updates videos on the Aspen and Lynx units. No audio, that will come later.

And for those of you wondering why I side stepped to the right, there was a Citation that took off just before I got to the DA. Did not want to fly into his wake on the missed approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

And for entertainment only value, this is the coupled approach I flew after the waypoint experiment. I am testing out a new GoPro in preparation for some updates videos on the Aspen and Lynx units. No audio, that will come later.

And for those of you wondering why I side stepped to the right, there was a Citation that took off just before I got to the DA. Did not want to fly into his wake on the missed approach.

Great video. How did you mount the camera?  I tried using the sticky mount on the headliner but it simply won't adhere.

• Like 1

It’s really cool being in Marauder’s cockpit!

Now we see what he sees... Right through his glasses...  :)

Thanks for sharing the video, Chris.

Its an interesting viewpoint at near eye level...  the center of rotation around the axis is really accentuated...

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, Marauder said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hook me up with a link for that Ipad mount.  I have been toying with adding something under the throttle quadrant, but am afraid itll encroach on my leg space.  I like how yours is offset. 

Great video. How did you mount the camera?  I tried using the sticky mount on the headliner but it simply won't adhere.

The standard GoPro mount stuck fine. You may need to clean the area with some alcohol to get an unseen dirt & grime off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hook me up with a link for that Ipad mount.  I have been toying with adding something under the throttle quadrant, but am afraid itll encroach on my leg space.  I like how yours is offset. 

It is this gizmo from mygoflight. The ashtray was removed and replaced with a flat metal plate.

f9acf519d6426c6219b00753f0d378ab.jpg

And BTW, I have a magnetic mount on the yoke and the metal plates on the back of the iPad. If it gets in the way of the passenger, I plop the iPad back on the yoke where the iPhone I was playing with was located.

I think this is probably correct behavior. The IFD will start a turn within 2.5 miles of the waypoint, as a fly-by. If the turn angle is greater than 135 degrees, it would need to start the turn much earlier to not overshoot the outbound course. By overflying the waypoint before turning to the outbound course it is possible to stay in protected airspace. For example, at 150 Kts, the turn diameter at standard rate is only 1.6 Nm. Without GPSS, navigation would normally be fly-over, and this is no different. A direct turn to the outbound course would overshoot and require an S-turn correction. This method gets you on course closer to the waypoint. Garmin doesn't document what it does for the GTN series, though it is possible to select either fly-over or fly-by on a G1000.

A GNS530 commands a correct turn anticipation for a 150 degree course change beucause I’ve seen that.

flying over the waypoint Keeps you  within 4nm of course centerline right up until it sends you out the side at nearly 90 degree.  That’s not normal behavior.  

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

A GNS530 commands a correct turn anticipation for a 150 degree course change beucause I’ve seen that.

flying over the waypoint Keeps you  within 4nm of course centerline right up until it sends you out the side at nearly 90 degree.  That’s not normal behavior.  

I don't have any GPS, so I'm not going to argue too much for either. But you would need to be going faster than 300 Kts for a standard rate turn to take you more than 4nm from the centerline.