Hurricane Michael Relief

231flyer

Relief efforts for the devastated gulf coast have begun and pilots and their aircraft are again needed.  Please consider supporting the efforts of the following fine organizations…...I have personal experience volunteering  with both during Harvey and Irma relief.

www.aerobridge.org

www.operation-airdrop.com

Thanks

Deepak

• Like 3

I flew a single mission for Operation Air Drop yesterday.  They were slow getting supplies initially, and were hampered by TFRs that sprung up over the most affected areas, but they have good supplies coming into Gainesville now (KGNV) and pilots are taking them to Apalachicola (KAAF) and Destin as well as some smaller strips in the area.

Loading the Mooney Ovation proved an interesting challenge.  In my pre-calcs I figured that I could handle 300 lbs of stuff with the right amount of gas.  That turned out to be correct, although in my case I had to worry as much about the landing weight restrictions as I did takeoff.  I was pretty close to the max weight for both, and I can tell you that I was as far aft in the CG as I have ever flown the plane. It was definitely a different feeling on the controls...much less responsive in roll, but also not anywhere near as much nose-up trim required on landing.

Here's what my W&B looked like:

723630441_AirDropWB.thumb.png.aa0d96a0979fa14e3940d1a9d5e5b71d.png

I wish I could have stayed longer and done more loads. If you are in the area or want to take a few days, go to Gainesville and help out!

• Like 3

I stopped by today and helped out on the ground. Quite a bit of people. We did a lot of sorting, weighing, and intake processing. I would have loved to fly some trips but IFR training has completely depleted my bank account. But the PC-12s and Cessna 421s showing up completely dwarfed what little I would have been able to take. They are no longer accepting donations, the roads are opening back up and Publix just sent out a 20 semi-long convoy to the area so they are just trying to empty off what they have on hand now. Still a great thing to see in our area.

44253198_10156751309624640_7517108536631885824_o.jpg

• Like 4

Maybe next time.  I rode to the Panama City area with a group for two weeks of disaster relief work and will ride home with them.  I left my plane with DMax for working through a few things while I am gone.  I hope to do disaster relief by air next time.  Lots of wind damage in this area.  I am working with a chain saw unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Maybe next time.  I rode to the Panama City area with a group for two weeks of disaster relief work and will ride home with them.  I left my plane with DMax for working through a few things while I am gone.  I hope to do disaster relief by air next time.  Lots of wind damage in this area.  I am working with a chain saw unit.

Well done.   Be careful.   Hurricane Ike or Irma I was on my third chainsaw blade after about 8 hours of running a saw.  Realized that my arms were so sore that if the saw kicked back, I would not be able to control it.  Know when to say when.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed home Sunday.  It’s a real mess here.  We did lots of good work down here and had lots of appreciation.  The people have been seriously slammed and appreciate all the help they can get.  I’m anxious to get home to my lovely wife and get my Mooney back from DMax.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I didn't get to meet you Deepak Sircar but I've been privileged enough to buy your M20K from your wife.  The plane is in a good place with a good dude just like you.  I found that we are very much the same.  I bought the plane from Melissa as a student pilot against everyone's input.  You did the same.  We are both engineers.  I think we see the world the same.  The plane is almost done and the annual is able to be signed off now.   Your plane is in good hands sir, very similar hands to yours.  Much love and respect my friend.  We are the same, it's too bad we didn't get to meet this time.  We'll meet soon.  The K is with it's right person. 

4 hours ago, Aaron Q said:

I didn't get to meet you Deepak Sircar but I've been privileged enough to buy your M20K from your wife.  The plane is in a good place with a good dude just like you.  I found that we are very much the same.  I bought the plane from Melissa as a student pilot against everyone's input.  You did the same.  We are both engineers.  I think we see the world the same.  The plane is almost done and the annual is able to be signed off now.   Your plane is in good hands sir, very similar hands to yours.  Much love and respect my friend.  We are the same, it's too bad we didn't get to meet this time.  We'll meet soon.  The K is with it's right person. 

I’m glad to hear that N231NJ has a new owner. Please keep us updated with pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to do some repair work of hangar rash on the flaps.  The paint is on but I need to clean it up and rub out a couple of spots.  I also replaced the decals on the doors and had some paintless dent repair completed.  When it's done I'll post a few.  The attached is a picture in Denton when we picked it up last Oct after getting her going again. 

Mooney N231NJ.jpg

• Like 2