Yes I am stupid enough to buy a M22, but how much should I pay?

johncruce223

How high have you taken her? Is she calm in the cabin or noisy?

My father was one of the engineers on the M22. He advocated for a completely new fuselage design and actually drew plans for one. He said the roll cage was just not conducive for pressurized operations. He was overruled by marketing he says because the roll cage was a major appeal of Mooney.

Interesting factoid about the 22 is that Mooney filed and was granted a patent on the cabin door design. 

• Like 6

Wow- it is really beautiful.  Kudos that she is still an active and beautiful machine.

Mooney was first to the show in what became a very successful concept later for other companies.  E.g. the P210 and the Piper Mirage.

Imagine if Mooney had kept running with that design and refining it over a decade or two.  It may have dramatically changed the fortunes of the company.  Imagine what a M22 would be like by today if it were still an active design.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yves said:

Hello to all of you....... 

A few more words on the M22.  

Aircraft was repainted from bare metal in a small paint shop close to London in 1992.  The M22 has always been hangared and the paint still looks very nice. 

Polished every year for the last 20 years !!   Engine overhauled in the US. Project completed in 2016.  Long project but fully documented.

Engine has now around 150 hrs since overhaul and runs like a dream.  I tried to keep the aircraft as original as possible.   

Installed a EDM 900 as primary to avoid to be grounded in any problems with the old gauges.  All still running ok.  Also installed a new Garmin 330 ES transponder to be complying with the latest requirement in Australia. 

I know that there is M22 in South Africa. I was in contact with the owner a few years ago.  The aircraft did not fly for around 20 years now. 

One M22 also in Switzerland.   

A few photos taken this afternoon (except the one in the air) ....  

Very cool!   Thanks for posting the pics!

There was an M22 at Stellar field in Phoenix, AZ, for a long time, but somebody bought it and flew it away not too long ago.  

Engine was overhauled by Devine Airport Group.  

Pressurisation system working ok.  System is quite simple with the turbo feeding the cabin. Regulation through two outflow valves through the rear bulkhead. Valves have been overhauled and recalibrated by the manufacture in the US. 

Max differential pressure is 4.2 PSI with a cabin altitude of 8,000 ft at 24,000 ft (max ceiling). 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

How high have you taken her? Is she calm in the cabin or noisy?

My father was one of the engineers on the M22. He advocated for a completely new fuselage design and actually drew plans for one. He said the roll cage was just not conducive for pressurized operations. He was overruled by marketing he says because the roll cage was a major appeal of Mooney.

Interesting factoid about the 22 is that Mooney filed and was granted a patent on the cabin door design. 

When I go up it is between 15,000 and 18,000 ft.  Cabin noise is acceptable not more noisy than any other similar single engine aircraft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yves said:

Grand Merci....  vous êtes aussi propriétaire d'un Mooney .... au Canada ?  

Oui Yves. Je pilote un Mooney depuis environ 20 ans. Machine très efficace.  Et malgré le fait que cet avion est construit au chaud, au Texas, il performe très bien ici en hivers. J’ai déjà décollé à moins trente Celcius. Si tu cherche sur Google mon indicatif, tu trouvra quelques photos et même une sur une piste de glace sur une rivière.

Yves

• Like 1