Yes I am stupid enough to buy a M22, but how much should I pay?

johncruce223

Taking it at no charge may prove to be the costliest financial mistake you’ve ever made . . Lol

It is possible that if you got it free and parted it out and sold the parts to people who got theirs’ free, but were foolish enough to try to get theirs’ flying or keep theirs’ flying, and all the stars were lined up right, you might possibly be able to break even.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, johncruce223 said:

I love odd airplanes and have no problem with taking the time to care for an odd ball. I know there is a small cult following that has some parts for them, i also heard there is a precedent of a duke motor being installed on an airframe. 

My question, how much should I pay for one?  

I never heard of a Duke's motor.  What is that?

One of the few airworthy ones just ended up in a museum...I think it was going for $134k prior to that.  I looked at one in Arizona a really ago, asking price was in the $60s.  Unairworthy, but it seemed to be a good project.  I believe it is still there and likely still for sale.  It was  too far away for me and I didn’t have the disposable income to help it along.  There are a few others, they tend to be priced in that ballpark.  The purchase price will be a fraction of the cost on these.  I think a couple of folks managed to get the Duke engine field approved, one that I am aware of did an oil pump conversion, but couldn’t get it approved.  I think the one in Arizona had a spare engine.  The nose gear seems to be the next big issue.  Someone on the forum had another’s airworthy one until the nose gear failed.  As I recall, it is the cast part and none are left.  It would be cool if someone could get another airworthy, the concept is really cool.

27 minutes ago, N231BN said:

There's no data either, Mooney had to destroy everything related to the M22 as part of one of the many Bankruptcy settlements.

I was not aware of that.  Is this common for bankruptcy?  I can see this for some mergers...

I think the M22 would be fine in the hands of someone with advanced fabrication capabilities.  Much like the warbird guys, where every piece needs to be manufactured.  With advanced machining and scanning, many of the parts could be machined....and I would think this includes the nose gear.  Perhaps, putting it into experimental, exhibition might make life easier....but less of a travel machine.  Unfortunately, the two week links on the M22 have taken a few out.  The nose gear fails and you have a prop strike on that rare engine.  The problem with retrofitting is that the engine requires a very low profile oil sump due to the nose gear.  Hope someone can resurrect one more. 

Until 5-6 years ago or so, you could see M22 on sale one or twice a year, on Ebay, TAP or such... and they would sell albeit not quickly. Prices were, usually $50-60k +, IIRC and then after that I remember seeing only nicely painted 7277M with asking price of $135k. I don't think it ever sold but I see now it's own by museum in KS. I wonder if one listed at the moment in US since some online photos were from Europe.

Lack of parts would definitely be an issue and TIO4541-A1A engine is unique to M22 due to, as someone mentioned, low profile sump. Regular would, to my understanding, interfere with nose gear.

I believe Mooney sold (gave away?) TC to private party who got most of the parts; also there was an auction of M22 parts recently by former operator. It might be advertised here at the time as well. While I'm sure some of the m20 parts are used on m22 (wings are similar if not the same to M20F) question is what to do when something unavailable breaks and Mooney international das not have a drawing.

Same issue with the Lycoming engine... or pressurization system for example.

Nevertheless, it would be cool project to restore one and fly it for a while.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

I wrote about some interest for a Mooney M22.  I am the owner of the M22 in Australia. 

Aircraft was originally registered in the US as N7719M. My father flew the aircraft to Belgium in 1974 and I flew the aircraft to Australia in 2000. 

I have registered the aircraft in Australia since 2003. (VH-YVE)

If interested in the aircraft please let me know 

Regards, 

Yves

MooneyM22.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Welcome aboard new Yves!

We have an existing old @yvesg around here... just a heads up in case you guys accidentally get each other’s mail...

M22 Mustangs get a lot of interest around here...

There are so few flying...

There may be a few on each continent...

Yours looks amazingly brand new!

Best regards,

-a-

Homework for new Yves...

Get an awesome M22 pic posted in your avatar area!

Fill in some of the other details while you are at it...

:)

I am adding an invite for @Jonny to stop by when able (M22 Mustang owner with beautiful pics)

MS has a few father / son Mooney owners... at different levels of ownership as it is a life long transition...

Have a look at this simple search to see how much interest there isn’t in M22s...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=M22 mustang&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

You can get even more by simplifying the search to just M22 or just Mustang....

Best regards,

-a-

Hello to all of you....... 

A few more words on the M22.  

Aircraft was repainted from bare metal in a small paint shop close to London in 1992.  The M22 has always been hangared and the paint still looks very nice. 

Polished every year for the last 20 years !!   Engine overhauled in the US. Project completed in 2016.  Long project but fully documented.

Engine has now around 150 hrs since overhaul and runs like a dream.  I tried to keep the aircraft as original as possible.   

Installed a EDM 900 as primary to avoid to be grounded in any problems with the old gauges.  All still running ok.  Also installed a new Garmin 330 ES transponder to be complying with the latest requirement in Australia. 

I know that there is M22 in South Africa. I was in contact with the owner a few years ago.  The aircraft did not fly for around 20 years now. 

One M22 also in Switzerland.   

A few photos taken this afternoon (except the one in the air) ....  

IMG_8185.jpg

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8195.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8207.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

MustangM22.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1