Foreflight flight category

yvesg

On Foreflight, when opening the map with flight category (colored dot stating if VFR, IFR etc.) I use to have all airports painted with this. Recently, (perhaps after I upgraded) I cannot see that... it paints just a few airports such as the ones I use for my route.

Do you have the same?

Do they have a setting about this like showing all or only route weather dots?

If my explanation is not clear enough let me know... I’ll post pictures.

Yves

5 hours ago, bdash said:

I'm still seeing the flight category dots on most airports with METARs on the map in ForeFlight. It certainly isn't limited to those near my route.

What version of Foreflight do you have?

Yves

13 hours ago, yvesg said:

What version of Foreflight do you have?

ForeFlight 10.4.1, running on iOS 12.0.1.

When zooming the map view out I'm seeing flight category dots on airports all across North America, including the US, Canada and Mexico.

Tried reconnecting with account to no avail. Got the following response from FF... this is really a bug.

Hello Yves, 

Emily here. Thanks for your email.

This is a known issue that we are working to address. We have an internal engineering case to look into this issue further and fix as able. While we don’t have a timeframe for when a fix may be put in place, please know we are working on correcting this.

22 minutes ago, bdash said:

ForeFlight 10.4.1, running on iOS 12.0.1.

When zooming the map view out I'm seeing flight category dots on airports all across North America, including the US, Canada and Mexico.

What iPAD or iPhone do you use?

Yves

42 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Tried reconnecting with account to no avail. Got the following response from FF... this is really a bug.

Hello Yves, 

Emily here. Thanks for your email.

This is a known issue that we are working to address. We have an internal engineering case to look into this issue further and fix as able. While we don’t have a timeframe for when a fix may be put in place, please know we are working on correcting this.

As a software guy, this is the most you can hope for. I have met their head software engineer. He truly cares about the quality of his product and will have it fixed as soon as possible. These things are usually caused by some odd combination of settings or configuration that didn't manifest itself during their validation. I'm confident that they will identify the odd situation and include it in future testing. 

The one thing we may get quickly is the cause and a possible work around. 

Unfortunately, to run a professional software operation usually dictates that any bugs identified will be addressed in the release after next. This is because the next release is likely already in validation and can't be changed without starting all over again, delaying the schedule. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yvesg said:

What iPAD or iPhone do you use?

Yves

To add to bdash, I'm using an Ipad Mini2, a 2018 Ipad and an Iphone 6 Plus.  Latest IOS and Foreflight.  Nothing was connecting to activate the live features despite 4 years with no problems.  After changing/resetting the Foreflight passwords on all 3, they work fine now.  I used the password change facility on my Foreflight account on their website.

The way that I was told was to use the enhanced IR satellite page and determine the 'color' of the temperature at that point. Using winds aloft, find that temperature accompanying a wind data barb and that altitude would be the tops.

This is an inexact and tedious process and of all of the things Foreflight needs is a better, quicker way of showing this information.