Line up and wait

RobertGary1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Oh for gosh sakes, they could change it to "Yabba Dabba Do". As a pilot you should know that Yabba Dabba Do means to pull on to the runway so you can't see the airplane that is landing on you.

If that was the case they’d have stayed with position and hold. 

-Robert 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

A few weeks ago I flew out of Vero Beach and the controller gave the command to "taxi into position and hold", which I thought was odd (but welcome).

"Roger, runway XX, position and hold, Mooney 3YZ."

:lol:  :D  :lol:  :P

On 10/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Oh for gosh sakes, they could change it to "Yabba Dabba Do". As a pilot you should know that Yabba Dabba Do means to pull on to the runway so you can't see the airplane that is landing on you.

Well If I keyed the mike and said what was going through my head it would be "Yipee it flys"   "yahoo this is so cool"  or some other phraseology that is in accordance with my nature.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Well If I keyed the mike and said what was going through my head it would be "Yipee it flys"   "yahoo this is so cool"  or some other phraseology that is in accordance with my nature.

Yeeeeeeee--hhaaaaaaaawwwww!!!

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

I know, but we got to use the silly words in the book....

One of the first times I was given a line up and wait clearance I replied “position and hold runway 22” the tower guy said with a sad voice “I need to hear line up and wait” so I said it...

• Like 1

Back before LUAW was put into effect, I was coming into a very busy PBI, and ATC told a Swedish Gulfstream to "position and hold". They did not know what that meant, and the controller repeated himself, and was met with radio silence. Finally someone else hearing this exchange said "he means line up and wait!" to which the Gulfstream crew responded, and did as they were told. We were the only country doing PAH, so it made sense to change to LUAW.

One reason why you might not get LUAW that often is that there needs to be a certain staffing level in the tower to allow this. If there is just one person working local, they are not allowed to do LUAW. They need to have someone looking over their shoulder to do LUAW. 

Edited by Mark605
  • Like 4