Landing Motor Loose

Mooney Folks,

Just completing an annual with no issues until mech was lubricating appropriate points in the belly.  He went to wipe off some grease from the actuator motor and noticed it was loose.  So he tightened it down and noticed it would not tighten.  Come to find out the motor anchor are stripped and will not tighten the motor down.

He made a call to Mooney and to LAZAR for replacement motor and everybody was out at the Mooney fly-in.

So, any thoughts?  anyone experience this? Any SB's out on this?   Anyone know motor part number?  I was at work so haven't able to lay eyes on. Just to refresh, I am an M20K, 1980.  Cant tell you what kind of motor yet.

Is the motor loose on the actuator assembly?   There should be 4 bolts that hold it on.  So all 4 bolts are stripped?  Helicoil or tap for coarse threads if fine threads.  Or tap for next size bolt if enough material.  Best would be to find replacement.  Pictures would help

On 10/16/2018 at 11:17 PM, Yetti said:

Is the motor loose on the actuator assembly?   There should be 4 bolts that hold it on.  So all 4 bolts are stripped?  Helicoil or tap for coarse threads if fine threads.  Or tap for next size bolt if enough material.  Best would be to find replacement.  Pictures would help

@Yettiapologize to you and @thinwing.  I stopped looking for updates to my post after a week of no responses.  But yes, you have described it.  We got ahold of Dan at Lazar after the Mooney summit and he stated this happens quite frequently.  Dan took my core and swapped out a rebuilt motor for around $450.  We discussed tapping and re-threading but this seemed more logical not knowing what else might be going on inside the motor. So...moral of the story to the rest of the readers, have your mech put a form hand on the motor at next annual and make sure the studs on the actuator have a firm grip with the anchor nuts inside the motor.  Like I mentioned Dan said he els this frequently and the motor could back off the studs enough where it won't engage the actuator.... so I am told.

I didn't grab any pictures but here is a link to what the motor and actuator look like and there are four bolts that hold the cylinder motor in place.  All 4 bolts were stripped.

https://lasar.com/actuators/gear-actuator-102000-1-sn-1245

2 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

@Yettiapologize to you and @thinwing.  I stopped looking for updates to my post after a week of no responses.  But yes, you have described it.  We got ahold of Dan at Lazar after the Mooney summit and he stated this happens quite frequently.  Dan took my core and swapped out a rebuilt motor for around $450.  We discussed tapping and re-threading but this seemed more logical not knowing what else might be going on inside the motor. So...moral of the story to the rest of the readers, have your mech put a form hand on the motor at next annual and make sure the studs on the actuator have a firm grip with the anchor nuts inside the motor.  Like I mentioned Dan said he els this frequently and the motor could back off the studs enough where it won't engage the actuator.... so I am told.

I didn't grab any pictures but here is a link to what the motor and actuator look like and there are four bolts that hold the cylinder motor in place.  All 4 bolts were stripped.

https://lasar.com/actuators/gear-actuator-102000-1-sn-1245

Oh thank goodness.  I saw the $9500 tag on the webpage before I realized you had swapped it out for $450 :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I spent a fair amount staring at mine.

20161202_092137.thumb.jpg.4cd5ab7bc408c0ec097d7ce3269499fe.jpg

Even had to bother the grumpy IA to get the special ground off 7/16 socket to get at this bolt

20161202_095830_001.thumb.jpg.a99fb0f3d42d5e5da33ffe9b20b62bd3.jpg

See how it is offset just a little from the hole... not an optical illusion.

I was just wanting to speculate on why yours failed, since most people would say the updated actuator would be better than the ITT or Dukes that is on the older planes.  Going through the ITT I was impressed with the stoutness and quality of the machining.

@Yetti, I concur.  I was surprised Dan said this happens "frequently".  The entire actuator assembly is a pretty solid piece of equipment. I was hoping someone else would have chimed in on my post saying they had experienced the same thing but was surprised I received zero response.