uAvionix tailBeacon fitment

vorlon1

Was able to get to the plane today and (using the mounting template) confirmed that this will fit my otherwise stock C model, so I pre-ordered it. According to the web site as of today, it will begin shipping on 11/15. I recall the company similarly announced the certification of the wing-mounted version on the very day they said it would ship..

21 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Was able to get to the plane today and (using the mounting template) confirmed that this will fit my otherwise stock C model, so I pre-ordered it. According to the web site as of today, it will begin shipping on 11/15. I recall the company similarly announced the certification of the wing-mounted version on the very day they said it would ship..

Any reason why you are opting for the tail mounted version vice the SkyBeacon?

21 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Yep.  They announce they would ship the skybeacon in August so I bought one at OshKosh.  It still hasn't shipped :(

Bright side, the delay means I now qualify for the re-opened $500 rebate from the FAA!! :) 

15 minutes ago, Drumstick said:

Any reason why you are opting for the tail mounted version vice the SkyBeacon?

Simply because the wing lights would no longer match each other, and it would limit my choices with regard to upgrading (matching) to LED in the future. No other reasons really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vorlon1 said:

Simply because the wing lights would no longer match each other, and it would limit my choices with regard to upgrading (matching) to LED in the future. No other reasons really.

I was curious because I'm thinking about the sky beacon now and then getting the other wing tip when uavionix releases it.  Has anyone installed the SkyBeacon on an M20C yet?

18 minutes ago, Drumstick said:

I was curious because I'm thinking about the sky beacon now and then getting the other wing tip when uavionix releases it.  Has anyone installed the SkyBeacon on an M20C yet?

FWIW, I believe they are trying to get an ADS-B in receiver built into the other wing tip light.

Certified SkyBeacon has not yet shipped.

I did the tail beacon on my experimental a couple of months ago.  Everything was "as advertised".  The one/only check flight came back with everthing in tolerance first time.

Install cost:  0.

My time to install was a bit longer than it should have been because the beacon fitting on my plane was non-standard.

I still haven't decided if I'll use one on the Mooney.