Anyone hurt by Michael?

nels

3 hours ago, nels said:

Just wondering how bad it is down there in the south after Michael went through. Hopefully he didn’t have his way with any members.

I sure as heck didn't have my way with any members down at the Summit! Although I got the feeling that some may have enjoyed that.

• Haha 1

I sure as heck didn't have my way with any members down at the Summit! Although I got the feeling that some may have enjoyed that.

It’s fitting they named one after you.

I know of one Mooney that was in the area. He flew down from N57 on a business trip and had his J hangared at Dothan, AL. Came close, but he said he and the plane are fine.

d8ff7260ec29c1912fcf1b028ba30841.png

He texted me some photos:

75596c34e17c3a7fb1c52a2817253f06.jpg

fc3372af4466964f397402dd8475ba36.jpg

And what the grocery store looked like:

a25cec3d2565f1ee1ef1586b2bcca66e.jpg

And the reason for the food devastation:

5d3dd25f08954b88342dd2a45612021f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, Marauder said:

It’s fitting they named one after you.

I know of one Mooney that was in the area. He flew down from N57 on a business trip and had his J hangared at Dothan, AL. Came close, but he said he and the plane are fine.

d8ff7260ec29c1912fcf1b028ba30841.png

He texted me some photos:

75596c34e17c3a7fb1c52a2817253f06.jpg

fc3372af4466964f397402dd8475ba36.jpg

And what the grocery store looked like:

a25cec3d2565f1ee1ef1586b2bcca66e.jpg

And the reason for the food devastation:

5d3dd25f08954b88342dd2a45612021f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@Marauder girls were on vacation there I hear. Undoubtedly, they helped hold down the fort

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Danb said:

Sad.   

Major Mari Metzler and the rest of the f22 fleet were moved to safety. She is OK of course, saddened by her fav F15 lying upside down now and is returning to Tyndall today. Jim, I hope you fared well also, with little damage @rocketman is going there tomorrow to check his properties. I already know the Presidents club house is missing a fence, I saw that on a Fox broadcast where they had Ron's Gulf Dr. Beach home in the background.

Mars, glad your ok and thanks for all your contributions to the Mooney Summit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulM said:

I saw a video (probably filmed from the Origin) showing Sharky's sign and the shark blowing down. 

The video shows one of my biggest pet peeves of the modern age, taking video in portrait mode. We as humans view the world horizontal - or landscape - yet most people fail to turn their phone to shoot that way. I'm done ranting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

I saw a video (probably filmed from the Origin) showing Sharky's sign and the shark blowing down. 

Yes, that is from the Origin, maybe the 5th floor. I wonder how @rocketman furniture on the penthouse observation deck faired. Ron, got your ears on? 

Ill be flying missions all day tomorrow for operation airdrop. We are bringing supplies from Gainesville (staging area) to Apalachicola (KAAF). Those folks need all the help they can get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I flew some for Harvey last year...they really whipped up a storm of well organized volunteers. Good on you, be safe!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I had planned on flying down this weekend, to the 1J0, the circle to the left of Marianna on the above map. My brother posted most roads had been cleaned up to one lane, electricity for most of the area still out and cell coverage was very spotty. I've not seen any pictures from Bonifay or the surrounding areas near them...

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The western eye wall went over my house in PC. Our old neighborhood was absolutely destroyed, but reports are our house is still standing with some roof damage, broken windows, and one of the brick chimneys down.  There is literally not a live oak or piece of Spanish moss left standing.  No electricity, water, or Verizon cell service anywhere. Panama City Beach is much, much better than Panana City and to the east through about Port Saint Joe. 

I feel for you man. Living down here in the sub-tropics is not always a picnic. The worst storm for me was Wilma in 2005, where the eye passed directly over South Florida. The contrasts between this weeks devastation and Wilma's is like day and night, mostly due to construction standards. Wood structures don't stand a chance while concrete typically suffers very little damage, with the only vulnerable structure being the roof. As you pointed out, it's a frightful experience that lasts for hours, and people watching coverage from the comfort of their living room have no idea what it's like.

The good people of the panhandle had one thing going for them after the storm passed - if you can call it that - temperatures cooled off.

4 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Bonifay and K1J0 are ok. I went there yesterday to check on my hangar and get diesel fuel. 

To imagine there is someone on this board that even knows where Bonifay is... much more of a surprise to know you have a hangar at that airport! If you have a Mooney there I may have sat in it a number of years ago, just to try one on. Now I wear my own! Glad you and your hangar are safe. Most of my wife's family now have power, Mother in Law still doesn't but her phone is working. I have an Aunt and Uncle that were stuck in Baton Rogue traveling back to their home in Sarasota. They said that Marianna area is pretty devastated. No highway signs and it looked like the trees had all been cut off at about 10 foot.

I am leaving Monday for the Panama City area with a volunteer disaster relief organization.  What airports are still open close to there that I could fly to and meet them in order to avoid a two day drive with the group in slow moving equipment hauling rigs?  If I could get pretty close to the West or Northwest of there it would help greatly.  Any local knowledge to offer?

Edit:  I looked at the TFR’s in Foreflight and both Panama City and Niceville have TFR’s.  Anyone know anything about Brewton?  It is outside the TFR.  It appears to be inside of a pretty serious MOA surface to 17,500.

11 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Edit:  I looked at the TFR’s in Foreflight and both Panama City and Niceville have TFR’s.  Anyone know anything about Brewton?  It is outside the TFR.  It appears to be inside of a pretty serious MOA surface to 17,500.

Brewton is a nice airport. The MOA above it doesn't start until 10,000 MSL. The Navy training pilots practice there a lot, but they usually have a Runway Duty Officer talking on the CTAF who will keep them out of your way.