Acclaim Ultra purchase group, thought experiment

1964-M20E

10 hours ago, CaptainAB said:

Wet 170 per hour? Maybe because Mooney is paying for all parts the first two years? I’m going to guess your insurance will at least be double that number, probably triple depending on the pilot qualifications. And some want quote you with four named pilots?

I think based on hanging out with the cirrus guys that buy new, if you have to plan and budget a 950k piston single, you probably aren’t the buyer they are looking for.

but how cool would it be to have three partners and buy a used acclaim for cash. Is that extra door really worth 600k? 242 knots at 300k is like 1200 per knot, sounds almost reasonable. 242 knots at 950k. Ouch.

Yes $170 wet is low but keep in mind each of the 4 partners in this scenario paid $100k up front and pay $1,100 monthly with no flying just for access to the plane.  Then they pay $170/hour to the LLC for each hour they fly and at a min 6 hours flying or not to make this work.

This was presented as a thought experiment just to see how the numbers work and if it was remotely affordable and similar to what we are currently doing.  Operation costs are not all much different than what I currently have for my 67 F model.  Acquisition cost is the big issue and yes insurance rates would be more for higher hull coverage.

12 hours ago, CaptainAB said:

but how cool would it be to have three partners and buy a used acclaim for cash. Is that extra door really worth 600k? 242 knots at 300k is like 1200 per knot, sounds almost reasonable. 242 knots at 950k. Ouch.

In a partnership if one partner insists on flying it at max performance (242 kts) you'll be buying cylinders every 300-400 hours. The Acclaim is an amazing machine but eats cylinders at twice the rate of the Bravo even if flown reasonably.  It has two turbos to maintain, a right angle starter adaptor to chew up. More realistic would be a conservative setting which would yield 215-220 knots at altitude.

The Acclaim is the best looking Mooney made, but If you are looking for a 200+ kt Mooney, I still say the Bravo is the best bang for the buck. 210-215 kts, in some cases for half of what a used Acclaim goes for is pretty sweet. Most Bravos go to TBO with the original cylinders since the valve guides are oil cooled.  The price also makes it so you can own yourself or with one partner. 

• Like 3