Operation Air Drop

Danb

Update from the Airdrop organizers:

****************?

Good news on the facility front. We can tell you that we will begin relief flights in Florida from University Air in Gainesville at KGNV. We have a newfound appreciation for university towns after our success in Raleigh. Having such a big institution as a flagship state university close by (plus Duke in the case of NC) makes for more volunteer response on the ground, which in turn makes for more boxes for us to fly and an all around more efficient operation.

As with Raleigh, there will be no ramp fees and fuel will be discounted. We did not get a final number on the fuel discount yet due to this all being nailed down late in the day today, but will confirm it with you in tomorrow's email after all involved have had a chance to review and sign off.

As of now, we hope to have staging staff on the ground to begin organizing donations tomorrow, which would give us all day Friday for final prep, and first flights on Saturday morning. That schedule is not set in stone yet, we will confirm this with you tomorrow when we can ensure the travel schedules of our staff headed to Gainesville.

We are also still working the idea of possibly setting up on the western half of the storm as well, although we have not confirmed any available facilities available between the Mobile and Pensacola areas. If we do add a western staging airport, that will also be confirmed in tomorrow's email.

1 minute ago, Raptor05121 said:

Where can I signup? I'm about 30 miles from Gainesville

Visit www.operation-airdrop.com and look for the link. Fly whatever you can, as many or few trips as you have time / fuel / money for. Or donate. Or go to Gainesville and sort, weigh and tag boxes. Or whatever. 

The more of us that help out, the more people get helped!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Ropers said:

For the western maybe KJKA - there's going to be an AOPA fly-in later this month - seems they are GA friendly.

Thanks, Mike. I had forgotten about them. I forwarded this suggestion on to Operation Airdrop.