Mooney owners near College Station, Texas

greygoose

Trouble is expensive. Gas is cheap. Just pay for gas and lunch. YMMV

Bonus points, Lunch at "the chicken"

This man knows what he's talking about!

I wish you would've posted last week as I was considering coming down for the UK game and gladly would've given you an intro flight (and set the hook). I'm not sure when I might make it down, though.

Scott Aggie class of '95, BS Aero Engr, Minor in The Chicken

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

West side of school is North Gate, lots of bars and eating establishments.   The Chicken is one of those places that has been around for ever.

To the OP.  I am down south 30 miles.   Would be happy to give you a ride.   We are working through some personal things so may be November before we can go for a spin.

Edited by Yetti

I thought The Chicken was a greasy spoon luncheonette near GGG and a favorite haunt of Don Maxwell and Bill Pearson? Is there one in Aggieland, too?

Edit:  no, my sleepy brain just informed me that I'm thinking of the Chicken Basket . . . .

Edited by Hank

2 hours ago, greygoose said:

I am looking to buy an aircraft. I like many of the Mooney features, but have never flown in a Mooney. Any Mooney owners near College Station, Tx that would be willing to let me ride right seat.  I will of course pay for gas and trouble.

Ben

Hi Ben, 

Welcome aboard. My Mooney is based in Smithville which is just a few Mooney minutes from College Station. I'd be happy to swing by and give you a ride and answer any questions you might have about Mooneys. I've owned a couple of them.  Send me a PM with contact information.

• Like 1

The Chicken is the shortened name of the famous bar in Northgate, just across from campus. The Dixie Chicken is the full name, and it's been an institution since the 70's when there were few options. It is an old school Texas beer joint with a greasy grill in back. Old country music was typically played off vinyl records when I was there in the early 90's (before hipsters made vinyl cool again) but I don't know what happens now. We played 42 (old Texas domino game) all the time there, or shot pool. There were rattlesnakes in a glass cage near one of the pool tables. There are porches front and rear, completely with swinging wooden doors like the old saloons.

When I was there, it was frequently said more beer was sold & consumed per square foot than anywhere else in the state...and it was easy to believe on a good night. The taps were rarely closed as pitchers were simply swapped out under a constant stream of beer. It got so packed it took 5-10 minutes to squeeze thru the crowd to get to the bar for a refill, and you had to hold the pitcher over your head to get back to your spot without getting it bumped and spilled. Good times!

6 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

The Chicken is the shortened name of the famous bar in Northgate, just across from campus. The Dixie Chicken is the full name, and it's been an institution since the 70's when there were few options. It is an old school Texas beer joint with a greasy grill in back. Old country music was typically played off vinyl records when I was there in the early 90's (before hipsters made vinyl cool again) but I don't know what happens now. We played 42 (old Texas domino game) all the time there, or shot pool. There were rattlesnakes in a glass cage near one of the pool tables. There are porches front and rear, completely with swinging wooden doors like the old saloons.

When I was there, it was frequently said more beer was sold & consumed per square foot than anywhere else in the state...and it was easy to believe on a good night. The taps were rarely closed as pitchers were simply swapped out under a constant stream of beer. It got so packed it took 5-10 minutes to squeeze thru the crowd to get to the bar for a refill, and you had to hold the pitcher over your head to get back to your spot without getting it bumped and spilled. Good times!

Scott, did they still have the decked out DC3 when you were there?

Russ

The "Chicken" is not just an aggie thing.  College students from surrounding schools also road trip down from Baylor, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, and yes even UT (although not many from UT :) ). 

Back to the thread at hand:

What kind of Mooney are you considering?  Might help to get a ride in one you are actually considering (budget ect)!

10 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

I was at A&M in the 70's when it opened, and it was packed from the start. It was great for my roommate and me as we lived around the corner on Church Street behind the (ahem) Dairy Hut. (Former Students know the alias).

• Like 1

Greygoose,

There is a convention in Longview starting tomorrow.  Lots of information and lectures.  It might be worth your while.  For registration information look in General Mooney Talk for Mooney Roundup.  Some of us from mooneyspace including myself will be there.  I fully expect you would get more than one offer for a ride.  We are always looking for new addicts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Greygoose,

There is a convention in Longview starting tomorrow.  Lots of information and lectures.  It might be worth your while.  For registration information look in General Mooney Talk for Mooney Roundup.  Some of us from mooneyspace including myself will be there.  I fully expect you would get more than one offer for a ride.  We are always looking for new addicts.

Sorry, out of town at work this week, but thanks for the info.

14 hours ago, wcb said:

The "Chicken" is not just an aggie thing.  College students from surrounding schools also road trip down from Baylor, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, and yes even UT (although not many from UT :) ). 

Back to the thread at hand:

What kind of Mooney are you considering?  Might help to get a ride in one you are actually considering (budget ect)!

Looking at M20K or possible M20J

23 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

This man knows what he's talking about!

I wish you would've posted last week as I was considering coming down for the UK game and gladly would've given you an intro flight (and set the hook). I'm not sure when I might make it down, though.

Scott Aggie class of '95, BS Aero Engr, Minor in The Chicken

Thanks Scott. Got a couple of leads. Ben

• Like 1