Engine Swap

chan65

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but I need input

79 J model 

The 360 I have has the single dual mag so changing to the dual mag set up is one question

The second is, I can get a factory OH with the roller tappets for just a couple grand more, is it worth it ? Ive also spoke with couple reputable rebuild shops, not field overhaul. Pricing about the same 30 ish

what have others done?

Thanks

There are some detailed guides here on how to make the swap, including the new parts you'll need. (There is a new governor bracket from Mooney that is for sale here right now too!)

Lycoming is motivated to remove dual mag engines from the field and have eliminated the dissimilar core charge that they used to have, so you can trade yours in on a new/overhauled/reman split mag, roller cam engine if you wish. It is expensive, relatively speaking. It will come with Slick mags that most do not like.

The boutique engine shops can overhaul what you have, which is still a field overhaul. Same as your local mechanic can do.

I opted to overhaul what I had, and paid attention to precision balancing of all the rotating parts, flow-matched the cylinders and lifters, etc. It was much less expensive, and I had control of everything. It took a long time. I'm very happy with my very smooth engine. The dual mag engine is lighter, and runs great. I adhere closely to the 500 hr inspection interval for the mag, though.

I'll add that getting a factory engine is no guarantee of quality or longevity. There are plenty of bad stories of Lycoming junk on this site. You pays your money and takes your chances...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some thoughts on how long you intend to keep the plane may help...

is this a forever plane?

Stepwise improving towards infinity?

New and factory reman... are good starting places for long term ownership...

Scott from KS has described a more precise approach...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, chan65 said:

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but I need input

79 J model 

The 360 I have has the single dual mag so changing to the dual mag set up is one question

The second is, I can get a factory OH with the roller tappets for just a couple grand more, is it worth it ? Ive also spoke with couple reputable rebuild shops, not field overhaul. Pricing about the same 30 ish

what have others done?

Thanks

Some people have reviewed the idea a lot...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Lycoming factory reman&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Getting the roller lifters seems to be a good idea...

The only way to get the roller lifters is though Lycoming...

The part of the mags that needs the most help isn’t the mechanical drive mechanism. It is the electrical parts that are connected to it...

Check these details for accuracy.   Starting with Lycoming... Lycoming has a few rules about what they take in on trade for the remans...

Check with Byron...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-