Backseat of an M20J - Not so bad

bill98

Had the pleasure to be flown home VIP style from SWTXA at 84R back to KGPM Saturday in a Mooney M20J ( @gsxrpilot played zero part in assisting in arranging the flight  ;) )

Being 5'10 and 205 of pure lean muscle, It was quite comfortable in the back of the J and felt very little bumps as we avoided the build-up of storms to the east as we proceeded northbound.

• Like 1

And the back seat in the models with reclining seats is even nicer. I can remember a flight where I started hearing this rhythmic sound. After a couple of minutes I figured out it was my teenage son snoring in the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have posted this comment before. 

I have a Dr. friend of size ( P C description of 285#--295# winter)  I fly him non stop from Houston to Branson, MO in a J MSE .

I remove the RF seat an secure a small cooler with bevs n snacks in its place. Yeah I'm a bit OCD.. so both rear seat  cushions are also removed and an aviation approved large wheel chair 26 inch X 4 inch pad with a reinforced substrate is installed.  ( yeah i'm ready for the ?? is the seat belt restraint adequate and legal)  IT does allow much easier entry and egress .

I also frequently fly with spouse with normal rear seat config..she prefers rear seat for the additional space provided with RF seat removed easier in and out and access to cooler for drinks and snacks. The PLB is Velcro top the 12 inch cooler ..the cooler also secured with extreme Velcro to be unlatched and quickly kicked forward to allow an emergency egress. 

I also enjoy the benefit of being able to load PAX in back first . All this banter and two light weight bicycle helmets loose and easily do able should the pony choose departure to quit.

Hear ye Hear ye ...any comments or similar seating arrangements for two or three Pax CC trips??  

Depends on who's in front.  With me and Mrs. Steingar in front there's plenty of room in the back of my '62 M20c.  With any of my tall friends, er, ah, ... what back seat?

All that said, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had anyone in the back seat of an airplane.  Didn't feel the need to buy one and schlep it around.

• Like 1

When we had both kids in the plane ('84 J) my son and I sat up front and my wife and daughter were in the back. While it was not the most luxurious, it was not uncomfortable for the 2 hour flight.

Specifics are: Me - 6'5", Son - 6'8", wife - 5'5", daughter 5'10".

I too have my son up front and wife and daughter in back of my F. Back seat is great once they’re in.   Difference is kids are both 3 years old.  They ride fine like that though.  The hard part is packing 2 car seats for the rental car and all our luggage!  Plane gets real small real fast!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M20JFlyer said:

I have posted this comment before. 

I have a Dr. friend of size ( P C description of 285#--295# winter)  I fly him non stop from Houston to Branson, MO in a J MSE .

I remove the RF seat an secure a small cooler with bevs n snacks in its place. Yeah I'm a bit OCD.. so both rear seat  cushions are also removed and an aviation approved large wheel chair 26 inch X 4 inch pad with a reinforced substrate is installed.  ( yeah i'm ready for the ?? is the seat belt restraint adequate and legal)  IT does allow much easier entry and egress .

I also frequently fly with spouse with normal rear seat config..she prefers rear seat for the additional space provided with RF seat removed easier in and out and access to cooler for drinks and snacks. The PLB is Velcro top the 12 inch cooler ..the cooler also secured with extreme Velcro to be unlatched and quickly kicked forward to allow an emergency egress. 

I also enjoy the benefit of being able to load PAX in back first . All this banter and two light weight bicycle helmets loose and easily do able should the pony choose departure to quit.

Hear ye Hear ye ...any comments or similar seating arrangements for two or three Pax CC trips??  

I would like to see a pic of that arrangement.

I'm 5"11 (on my best day), 205lbs with a 31" inseam.  I use the second seat notch but sometimes slide all the way back if no one is in the back.  In my typical seating position, the Mooney has way more leg room than many economy airline seats and more room legroom than my E91 BMW (3 series Wagon).  I've spent a lot of time in the back of a mid body and found it to be perfectly comfortable, especially with the split rear reclining seats.