Play in trim shaft, normal?

Hi guys, in annual and underneath the belly we noticed the shaft that goes from the trim wheel back to the tail has a LOT of play in it. I ordered new bushings for where it is captured along the airframe (NMC557-16A) but it will still have a lot of play. Is this normal? And if not what fixes this?

Great video evidence, fish!

having a control rod slopping around that much can’t be right...

We know a guy... @M20Doc

That can probably make a recommendation on that...

When the painted surface is getting rubbed off, that is a sign of something outside the norm...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flyingfisher said:

Hi guys, in annual and underneath the belly we noticed the shaft that goes from the trim wheel back to the tail has a LOT of play in it. I ordered new bushings for where it is captured along the airframe (NMC557-16A) but it will still have a lot of play. Is this normal? And if not what fixes this?

That amount of play in the trim shafts is normal.  Just be sure that all of the nylon bushings are in all of the hangers and the the wear sleeve is in place on the trim shafts.  The allowable wear limit is only 0.007”.

Clarence

Is the video before replacing the blocks?

Clean the spots where the blocks are and check the wear as Doc suggested.

The @M20Doc has spoken but I am with you it appears to be a lot of play.  I'm just an owner/pilot not a mechanic.  However, I do owner assisted annuals and I slept at a hotel somewhere in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

Is the video before replacing the blocks?

Clean the spots where the blocks are and check the wear as Doc suggested.

The @M20Doc has spoken but I am with you it appears to be a lot of play.  I'm just an owner/pilot not a mechanic.  However, I do owner assisted annuals and I slept at a hotel somewhere in the past.

This is quite normal, there is about 1/8” difference in tube size to bushing size.

Clarence

There were originally phenolic blocks which served as a means to reduce the hole in the aluminum and act as a guide. However, the phenolic material itself was abrasive.  With a DER approval we made similar blocks out of nylon which not only act as nore effective guides, but also are much less abrasive.  They are installed just as the phenolic blocks were installed.

John Breda

There were originally phenolic blocks which served as a means to reduce the hole in the aluminum and act as a guide. However, the phenolic material itself was abrasive.  With a DER approval we made similar blocks out of nylon which not only act as more effective guides, but also are much less abrasive.  They are installed just as the phenolic blocks were installed.

John Breda

6 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

It’s too bad that so many of these were not serviced properly, causing grime to sand the tubes down. 

With a sub $1000 annual that many boast of here, some parts don’t get looked at.  This may be one of those items.

Clarence

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

Your bilge is very dirty.  Some rags and varasol should help.

We cleaned EVERYTHING... rebuilt the gear, looked in every panel, took mineral spirits to the greasy bits in the belly, it's clear to me this plane hasn't had a thorough annual in 10+ years. Joy of joys I get to eat the $7k annual... who wants to knowingly fly in a plane thats been half ass maintained? On the plus side the gear looks great, haha... 

Edited by Flyingfisher
  • Like 1

Might of wanted to turn the prop 90 degrees when doing that.   Just in case you did drop it.     And some secondary saw horses under the wings could keep from getting people squished.  Also you only need to clear by about 3 or 4 inches. That's way up in the sky.  Everything in CA is more expensive.   I could not afford a CA Annual.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Might of wanted to turn the prop 90 degrees when doing that.   Just in case you did drop it.     And some secondary saw horses under the wings could keep from getting people squished.  Also you only need to clear by about 3 or 4 inches. That's way up in the sky.  Everything in CA is more expensive.   I could not afford a CA Annual.

Probably. We had the jacks pinned, and barring an earthquake she wasn't going anywhere. She's so high because we were rolling around under her with a crawler and it was a nice height to work on the belly. California is ridiculous... I'll be the first to admit, but the cost was lower than it could have been, I helped a ton. 770 dollar fuel sender from Lasar, 1200 dollars in landing shock discs,  a 550 dollar shock link, a couple new tires, a new trim torque tube it adds up pretty quick :( Oh and as for the prop... yeah I should have turned it to check the gear, but its like that because I walked into it and cut my face open on day 2 haha...

Edited by Flyingfisher

On 10/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, Flyingfisher said:

Probably. We had the jacks pinned, and barring an earthquake she wasn't going anywhere. She's so high because we were rolling around under her with a crawler and it was a nice height to work on the belly. California is ridiculous... I'll be the first to admit, but the cost was lower than it could have been, I helped a ton. 770 dollar fuel sender from Lasar, 1200 dollars in landing shock discs,  a 550 dollar shock link, a couple new tires, a new trim torque tube it adds up pretty quick :( Oh and as for the prop... yeah I should have turned it to check the gear, but its like that because I walked into it and cut my face open on day 2 haha...

Sounds like you’re giving your Mooney the attention it deserves.  Well done.

Clarence