Lost the keys, Damn it!!!!

FlyWalt

Some Doofus named ME, misplaced the only set of Mooney keys that I had. DOOOHH!!! Thankfully the mech shop at our airport has a master key for the ignition.

If that key doesn't open the door locks then I am going to have to spring for a locksmith to come down and make new door keys. Oh I am going through Mooney withdrawls right now.

For God's sake make some extras!

I have one set, my wife has a set, A&P has a set, and there's a spare set. Not counting the set I misplaced when my left magneto died and I left her out-of-state for a couple of weeks.

P.S.--my ignition, door and baggage each have separate keys, color coded to help me out (blue for bags, green for go, red for fire).

Edited by Hank

17 minutes ago, FlyWalt said:

Some Doofus named ME, misplaced the only set of Mooney keys that I had. DOOOHH!!! Thankfully the mech shop at our airport has a master key for the ignition. If that key doesn't open the door locks then I am going to have to spring for a locksmith to come down and make new door keys. Oh I am going through Mooney withdrawls right now.

I always keep a spare ignition key in my flight bag, that I keep in the airplane. I keep a spare door key in my wallet. The LAST thing I need is to lose my keys in rural Mexico, on a weekend.

All good suggestions, but you want to know how to fix the problem, then you can figure out how to avoid it again.

Go to any airplane repair facility. They will have a big ring of keys, one of which will open it. At least then you can take the door panel off, remove the lock from the inside and take it to any lock shop and have them make a key, or rekey it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

All good suggestions, but you want to know how to fix the problem, then you can figure out how to avoid it again.

Go to any airplane repair facility. They will have a big ring of keys, one of which will open it. At least then you can take the door panel off, remove the lock from the inside and take it to any lock shop and have them make a key, or rekey it.

I have a large collection of spare keys, I’ve never been kept out of an airplane yet.  

Another thing to consider is securing a spare key to a screw in a wheel well.

Clarence

13 hours ago, FlyWalt said:

Some Doofus named ME, misplaced the only set of Mooney keys that I had. DOOOHH!!! Thankfully the mech shop at our airport has a master key for the ignition.

If that key doesn't open the door locks then I am going to have to spring for a locksmith to come down and make new door keys. Oh I am going through Mooney withdrawls right now.

There is a number on the door and baggage door lock.  Call a locksmith and give them that number and say it's for a file cabinet.  They will whip up some spares.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I have a large collection of spare keys, I’ve never been kept out of an airplane yet.  

Another thing to consider is securing a spare key to a screw in a wheel well.

Clarence

I personally would zip tie or metallic tape a door key inside the battery door compartment somewhere.  That way I always have access to get into the airplane with a screwdriver and hide an ignition key in the interior.  Thus if I misplace my keys when not near my home airport (extra keys are normally in my flight bag), I can still get into and fly my airplane away.

-Seth

On 10/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, Seth said:

I personally would zip tie or metallic tape a door key inside the battery door compartment somewhere.  That way I always have access to get into the airplane with a screwdriver and hide an ignition key in the interior.  Thus if I misplace my keys when not near my home airport (extra keys are normally in my flight bag), I can still get into and fly my airplane away.

-Seth

Would really suck if you didn't have anything to cut a zip tie with. 

42 minutes ago, Antares said:

Would really suck if you didn't have anything to cut a zip tie with. 

I always have a pocket knife with me, except when in bed, in the shower or on the airlines. It's too useful for too many things!

• Like 1

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

The previous owner of my plane had a spare set of keys attached to an inspection panel in the tail after he lost his set in the Caribbean. All I need to get home is a phillips.

Get a Victorinox Tinker pocketknife, you'll always have a full-size phillips with you (but no corkscrew).