LSA weight change to 3600lbs (soon )

Ironically, Mooneys may end up being too fast to qualify for the new LSA designation (if 150mph is a real thing).

But more than anything else, this would be one more nail in the coffin for the dozens of light sport manufacturers. 

Otoh, I really like the idea of having a proper "entry-level" pilot certificate to replace the recreational cert that always seemed sort of useless to me. The sport pilot cert has been hurt by the limited availability of LSA trainers, and opening up the 15x/17x/PA28x aircraft could be a real boon to initial training. 

2 minutes ago, gsengle said:

My guess would be these will still be non complex birds... no constant speed prop, no retract...

Yep. Though they do have LSA amphibians with retracts, I doubt seriously that normal category complex ac will ever meet LSA restrictions. 

Wow I glanced at my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I saw this thread.  This is a game changer for the weekend warrior type pilot. Were this rule  in effect when I got my PPL almost 4 years ago, I almost certainly would not have bought my Mooney at that time.  As someone with no possibility of pursuing flying as a career, I might not have even bothered to get my PPL and just pursued an LSA license instead. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm very glad that I have a PPL, my M20C, and a subsequent IR. But as someone who got into this on a whim with minimal mentorship to help me understand the aviation world, but it would have been impossible for me to have had the vision to have swallowed the added costs to realize the benefits.

Ignore the inclusion of old airframes for a moment & visualize what designers could do with expanded LSA limits.   

I can imagine the (already available) 140 hp turbocharged Rotax 915 powering a 4 place 2400 pound class airplane.  With a single-lever engine controller handling everything including prop pitch it could bypass the obsolete “complex” endorsement.  

We have been calling for the simpler certification of new designs.  An expanded LSA category could be a parallel to the “performance based standards” of Part 23 rewrite.  

Expanding LSA rules could be a response to a growing realization that no 100LL replacement is coming and provides a path for expanding the fleet of mogas powered GA.  

I look forward to seeing the NPRM.  

• Like 3

Many LSAs were manufactured with potentially higher gross weights and even made efforts to keep their speeds down to fit.  I think there are many manufacturers that may actually benefit but some will lose out for sure.  The experimental guys will really love this ruling.

This change paired with the return of the $500 ADS- rebates will allow the metropolitan based weekend warrior pilots much more options. I’m basically in that category anyways. This might make a whole new category of CB’s.

I wonder if LSR-Maintenance mechanics (3-week course) will experience any changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk